TPO-28 - Integrated Writing Task Robert E. Peary was a well-known adventurer and arctic explorer who in 1909 set out to reach the North Pole. When he returned from the expedition, he claimed to have reached the pole on April 7, 1909. This report made him

carolinaviik's picture

The passage supports the veracity about the expedition made by Robert E. Peary, an adventurer and explorer who reached the North Pole in 1909. On the other hand, according to the lecture, the reading is not convincing enough and there are not solid evidences for that Peary actually reached the North Pole.

First, the investigation did not show the records carefully once it took only two days, so the committee could not present a trustful conclusion about it. However, the author states after the investigation, the committee concluded that Peary’s accounts were consistent and persuasive, declaring that he had, in fact, reached the North Pole. Moreover, besides the fact that it is true that the National Geographic Society committee declared that Peary indeed reached the North Pole, the committee were not completely objective, once it was composed by Peary’s closest friends who financially contributed to his trip.

Second, the passage mentions that Peary’s claim that he reached the North Pole in only 37, going against the Skeptics, who argued that Peary could not travel that fast, since advanced snowmobiles take longer to cover the same distance. But in a recent expedition, the same trek was completed by the explorer Tom Avery in less than 37 days using the same kind of dogsled and number of dogs Peary had. Nevertheless, according to the professor, Avery carried less weight than Peary, once he was not carrying food on the sled, which was dropped by airplane, not forgetting to mention that Avery faced highly favorable weather conditions if compared to Peary’s, hence, Avery’s expedition was too different from Peary’s to provide support to Peary’s claims.

As last, to support Peary’s claim that he has indeed reached the North Pole, the author mentions the shadows in his photographs, which when measured, could calculate the position in the sun that corresponded to the position of the sun in the North Pole. However, the professor states that photographs do not prove anything. Scientists use techniques to determinate the sun’s position measuring the shadows in the photographs. Without a precise measurement of the shadows, it is not possible to know the sun’s exact position. In light of this, Pear’s photographs came from a primitive camera, and are fuzzy and fade due the time. This results in a blur that do not allow scientists to calculate the sun’s position with accuracy, which can not prove that such photographs were, in fact, took on North Pole.