TPO 30 integrated writing task

TPO 30 integrated writing task

According to the reading passage, three reasons mentioned to suspect that the story of burning mirror in Greeks' defense was just a myth and Greeks of Syracuse never rally built such a device, while in the listening section, lecturer stated that passages' arguments are unconvincing, and pointed out some competing theories to contradict passages' arguments.
In the reading passage, author mentioned three reasons. First, ancient Greeks were not technologically advanced enough to make such device, because such a mirror requires very precise mathematical calculations. Second, burning mirror would have taken a long time to set the ships on fire, so it was a not effective device. Finally, because ancient Greeks already had flaming arrows, they preferred to use that instead of burning mirrors, because flaming arrows was more easier to use.
However, in the listening section, speaker pointed out some controversial arguments. First, it was possible even with some small copper to build a parabolic sheet in order to set the ships on fire, so, it would not have to build several meters wide plates. Second, although it is true that wood constructed materials take more than 10 minutes to set on fire, but, ancient Greeks already used a pitch(sticky substance), which set on fire ships on seconds, even during moving. Finally, Roman navy were familiar with flaming arrows, so, burning mirrors were surprising to them, because they would not see that which place of the ship is on fire.