The reading passage is talking about the validity of turtle excluder devices (TEDS) that are used to protect the endangered sea turtles which are accidentally caught in the nets of the shrimp fishing boats. It states the reasons for criticizing the use of these devices. The lecturer, on the other hand, goes against these reasons and refutes each one mentioned in the passage.
First, the passage assumes that the turtles are rarely trapped in the shrimpers' nets and using the TEDS will cost the shrimpers some of their shrimp catch as a percentage of the shrimp mange to escape through the turtle passages. The speaker, on the contrary, says that although it is rare to catch turtle in the nets, it is vital to use the TEDS in the fishing boats as there are thousands of operating shrimp boats on the coasts and thousands of the turtles can be caught in the nets every year.
Secondly, the reading states another method of protection that can be more effective than TEDS which is shortening the time limit that shrimp boats are allowed to keep their nets under water. The lecturer dissents from this idea as despite being theoretically effective, it is impossible to control the time and the fishing boats can not monitor it.
Lastly, the passage supposes that TEDS are not practical way for the larger turtles that may stuck in the small turtle passage. The speaker, in contrast, reckons that it is easy to create larger TEDS as they can be modified to fit the larger turtles.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Movies and television have more negative effects than positive effects on the way young people behave Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer 73
- TPO 37 https zabanexam com toefl sec 4 80
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement One of the best ways that parents can help their teenage children prepare for adult life is to encourage them to take a part time job Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer 58
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Because the world is changing so quickly people now are less happy or less satisfied with their lives than people were in the past Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer 80
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement Young people today have no influence on the important decisions that determine the future of society as a whole Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer 85
Attribute Value Ideal
Final score: 23 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 03 2
No. of Sentences: 9 12
No. of Words: 258 250
No. of Characters: 1197 1200
No. of Different Words: 120 150
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.008 4.2
Average Word Length: 4.64 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.295 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 85 80
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 63 60
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 29 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 17 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 28.667 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 11.652 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.778 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.423 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.701 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.1 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 4