TPO 40

TPO 40

The reading passage and the listening section are both discussing that Venus is possible for human to build a permanent presence. The article proposes some convincing arguments; however, the speaker casts doubt about them and provides several compelling statements to refute the article.

First of all, the article mentions that Venus's surface has extreme pressure than the Earth's surface so people cannot live within this condition. Nonetheless, the speaker disagrees with this idea because people can launch a floating shelter above the surface, which is about fifty kilometers high. And the pressure is equal to the Earth in this altitude.

Secondly, the article indicates that Venus's is lack of water, as a result, people have to transport water from Earth. Nevertheless, the speaker refutes this statement. Venus contains a lot of chemicals which can be used to produce the water, such as carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Therefore, people can make the water by using chemical reactions to make the water in Venus.

Last but not least, the article suggests that Venus's surface reflect 60 percent of sunlight, consequently, people have less solar power to supply their electricity. The speaker disapproves of this argument by saying that in the fifty kilometers high the atmosphere is thin. Moreover, people can establish the solar system above and below their floating shelter to get thorough solar energy, which is from sunlight and reflection of the Venus's surface.