TPO 41 Integrated Writing Task Burning coal in power plants produces a waste product called coal ash a material that contains small amounts of potentially harmful chemicals Environmentalists in the United States are concerned about the damage such har

The reading and the lecture present different attitudes towards whether new regulations should be brought in to deal with a pollutant called coal ash. Despite the three reasons given in the passage in favor of the idea, the lecturer contests each of them with compelling arguments, contending that stricter regulations are necessary.
Firstly, the author of the article points out that such regulations already exist, such as the one urging companies to adopt liner-special material in handling the waste. However, the speaker questions the idea, holding that the current regulations are not sufficient. As for the one mentioned above, the liner-special material is mandatory only for newly-built landfills or ponds, but several old ones are contributing much to coal ash leakage and ground water pollution.
In addition, the author argues that handling coal ash with special methods may affect its recycling process, keeping consumers from accepting the recycled products. In terms of this, the lecturer cites mercury as an example. Strict rules have been adopted in handling mercury wastes, but consumers show little concern about the safety of recycled mercury products. This contests the author's worries about reprocessing.
Finally, the author predicts that the more complex disposal process will result in a rapid increase in company expenditure and electricity prices, which may cause public discontent. Nonetheless, the speaker asserts that the prospect is well worth the cost. She estimates the additional cost for companies at 15 billion dollars, which may raise the household electricity costs by 1 percent. The price is acceptable for most households.