TPO-47 - Integrated Writing Task Pterosaurs were an ancient group of winged reptiles that lived alongside the dinosaurs. Many pterosaurs were very large, some as large as a giraffe and with a wingspan of over 12 meters. Paleontologists have long wondered

mitra-goli2041's picture

According to the passage, it is the authors' conviction that Pterosaurs were not capable of powered flight owing to three highlighted reasons. However, the professor casts doubt on this claim and rejects all of the authors' points by providing some evidence which will be explained in the following paragraphs.
First, the passage asserts that Pterosaurs presumably were cold-blooded, hence, they could not provide enough energy for their flight which demanded a great amount of energy. In the opposition, the speaker states that recent discovery indicates that Pterosaurs had dense hair covering which is one of the warm-blooded features. Consequently, Pterosaurs were warm-blooded so their metabolism was fast enough to meet their energy for flight.
Second, the reading points out that Pterosaurs were heavy because they were large. Therefore, they could not flap their wings fast enough to remain in the sky. On the contrary, the lecturer alludes that they had hollow bones so their wight was low enough to be capable of flapping.
Third, the writer mentions that Pterosaurs did not have potent muscles in their back legs to help them to run or jump high enough to launch into the air like birds. As a result, they were not capable of powered flight. Conversely, the professor explains that Pterosaurs walk on four legs so they could use them to push themselves to launch into the air. She adds that they did not use their back legs like the birds.
In conclusion, the professor rebuts the authors' arguments against powered flight.

Your rating: None Average: 8 (2 votes)