TPO 49 Integrated writing

Both the passage and the lecture discuss the humpback whales' ability to migrate over long distances by stars. The reading proposes several reasons for this belief. On the other hand, the professor states that the evidence for this theory is unconvincing and opposes each reason.

First, the passage claims that humpback whales' brains are intelligent enough to use stars for navigating. Nevertheless, the professor denies this view and describes that there is no connection between intelligence and navigating by stars. He explains that some birds, such as ducks, have the average cognitive ability, but they migrate by stars.

Second, the article states that humpback whales migrate in straight lines, and it is an evidence that they use external forces. Whales swim in the ocean and cannot use landmarks, so they use stars. Nonetheless, the lecturer rejects this idea and illustrates that the external force that humpback whales use to orient is the earth's magnetic field. He claims that humpback whales have a substance in their brain called bio magnetite. This substance is sensitive to the earth's magnetic field.

Finally, the author indicates that humpback whales perform a behavior called spy-hopping, which its function is for looking at the stars. However, the speaker refutes it, saying that spy-hopping is not for navigation. He says that other animals, such as sharks, show this behavior. Sharks do not migrate and use this behavior to look for other animals and hunt them. Whales often spy-hop during the day where no stars can be seen. He believes that this theory is based on pure speculation.