TPO 58 Integrated SPARTACUS

The article states that many aspects of Spartacus' life is appealing and provides three reasons of support. However, the professor explains that although Spartacus was a real person who escaped from slavery and fought against Romans, many stories about his life rely on inaccurate evidences. She refutes each of the points made by the author.

First of all, the reading claims that Spartacus's goal was to return home with his army and people appreciate this. The professor challenges this idea by mentioning that returning home was not his main goal. When Spartacus first defeated the Romans, they had an opportunity to return home, but they did not use it. Instead they marched toward Romans again probably in hope of conquering Rome and gaining valuable things. Revenge and search for wealth are not so admirable purposes.

Secondly, the article posits that Spartacus' initial success in fight was a result of his military brilliance, because they could defeat a huge and well-equipped army. The professor ,however, believes that actually Spartacus was not a military genius, because at first the Romans did not take them seriously and they sent a poorly trained army. What Spartacus did was to beat a weak unit, as when the Romans came with their main army, they won the war.

Finally, the reading argues that liberating all the Roman slaves was his desire. However, the professor explains that this is a false story, created by a play writer in eighteens century. At that times, europeans started to practice slavery themselves, and as a result an anti-slavery movement shaped. So, people needed an inspirational ancient hero who disapproves of slavery. And so this story invented.