TPO integ18

TPO integ18

Both the reading and lecture discuss possible solutions to address ways of saving Torreya taxifoha which is an evergreen tree and seems to become extinct. The reading claims that there are considering ways to protect them. However, the lecturer finds all the mentioned idea dubious and presents some evidence to refute them all.

First, the passage argues that growing the Torreya in the same location that they used to be for thousands of years would help them to thrive more than before. In contrast, the lecturer dismisses the issue due to the fact that the current place they consider as a proper location is strongly affected by global warming. Also, lands in that area are becoming drier and drier. Hence, the place does not have suitable climate for planting Torreya seeds.

Furthermore, the author holds the view that relocating the Torreya to another place would be another alternative solution. In fact, there are some places in further north which have sophisticate climate for Torreya seeds to be grown. On the contrary, the professor underlines the fact that human intervention to ecosystem maybe solves one problem but would presumably cause another problem. To illustrate the subject, she states a specific kind of tree called "Black Lokest Tree", which was flourished in another place. Although the process of preserving the plant was successful, it took other species into danger of extinction.

Last but not least, the reading asserts to taking care of Torreya in research centers in order to get it preserved and monitored. Conversely, the lecturer brings up the idea that there must be numerous Torreya trees to be able to overcome disease. In fact, they can survive in a huge group and genetically diverse condition. Since every research center does not have the potential to hold this amount of trees, this solution is not a sophisticated as the others.

Around 250 words wanted