TPO21 Genetic modification a process used to change an organism s genes and hence its characteristics is now being used to improve trees It is possible to create trees that produce more fruit grow faster or withstand adverse conditions Planting geneticall

TPO21 Genetic modification, a process used to change an organism’s genes and hence its characteristics, is now being used to improve trees. It is possible to create trees that produce more fruit, grow faster, or withstand adverse conditions. Planting genetically modified trees on a large scale promises to bring a number of benefits.

First, genetically modified trees are designed to be harder than natural trees; that is, they are more likely to survive than their unmodified counterparts. In Hawaii, for example, a new pest-resistant species of papaya trees has been developed in response to ring spot virus infections that have repeatedly damaged the native papaya tree population. Planting the genetically modified papayas has largely put an end to the ring spot problem.

Moreover, genetically modified trees promise to bring a number of economic benefits to those who grow them. Genetically modified trees tend to grow faster, give greater yields of food, fruit, or other products and be hardier. This allows tree farmer to get faster and greater returns on their farming investment and save on pesticides as well.

Finally, the use of genetically modified trees can prevent overexploitation of wild trees. Because of the growing demand for firewood and building timber, many forests around the world are being cut down faster than they can be replaced. Introducing genetically modified trees, designed for fast growth and high yield in given geographic conditions, would satisfy the demand for wood in many of those areas and save the endangered native trees, which often include unique or rare species.

The reading and lecture are both about genetically modified trees. The author feels that there are three benefits to these types of trees. However, the professor challenges all the claims made by the author. He's is of the opinion that these explanations are faulty.

To begin with, the writer posits that the genetically modified trees are designed for a harder and harsher environment so that they are more likely to survive than the non-genetically modified counterparts. This claim is refuted by the lecturer by arguing that some of the natural trees are resistant to threats like insects, natural calamities, etc.. But genetically modified trees had the same genetic material, and thereby, if some threat occurs to them, the trees may struggle for it's survival

Secondly, the author suggests that the economic benefits from the genetically modified trees are immense and they will provide a greater return of investments to the farmer as well. On top of that, they can save on pesticides. On the contrary, the lecturer's position is that the seeds of the genetically modified trees are soo expensive and by law, they farmers had to pay to the companies that they are made for every year. This will be a great binding for the local farmers.

Finally, the modified trees prevent over-exploitation of wild trees. Besides, the reading states that the fast growth and great yield of the genetically modified trees could satisfy the demand for wood, accordingly saving the native trees. In contrast, the professor states that the genetically modified ones grew more aggressively in the new habitat which are planted along with the native trees. As a result they may compete for resources like sunlight, soil, nutrients resulting in the complete destruction of the native trees.