TPO21(integrated)

Essay topics

The professor refutes the idea proposed in the passage. She is of the view that genetically modified trees also have some serious problems which undermine the benefits mentioned by the author.

First of all, the author supposes that genetically modified trees hold a high survival rate because they are more resistant to some negative effects than their counterparts. However, the professor argues that these trees only have a resistance to one particular factor, but, the outer influence is consist of many different factors. The natural trees could survive only if there are some individuals are resistant to the influence, and then repopulate quickly. But due to lack of genetic diversity, genetically modified trees are less likely to survive than traditional trees and will be wiped out totally.

Secondly, according to the passage, genetically modified trees can promise to bring economic benefits to those who grow them. For this, the lecturer points out that tree company will charge a tenfold fee as the non-genetically modified trees. Also, people could not collect the fruits or other products for free, they need to pay the company every time they harvest.

Lastly, the writer claims that growing genetically modified trees can prevent overexploitation of wild trees. The speaker, quite the opposite, states that genetically modified trees will also damage the natural trees. She further explains that genetically modified trees grow more aggressively, they will outcompete the natural trees with sunlight, water, soil and other supports.

Sentence: However, the professor argues that these trees only have a resistance to one particular factor, but, the outer influence is consist of many different factors.
Description: The token is is not usually followed by a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to is and consist

only if there are some individuals are resistant to the influence
only if there are some individuals who are resistant to the influence

Sentence: Lastly, the writer claims that growing genetically modified trees can prevent overexploitation of wild trees.
Error: overexploitation Suggestion: over exploitation

Sentence: She further explains that genetically modified trees grow more aggressively, they will outcompete the natural trees with sunlight, water, soil and other supports.
Error: outcompete Suggestion: No alternate word