Toward the end of his life the Chevalier de Seingalt 1725 1798 wrote a long memoir recounting his life and adventures The Chevalier was a somewhat controversial figure but since he met many famous people including kings and writers his memoir has become a

In the lecture, women debunks several of the accusation made in the passage about the accuracy and reliability of Chevalier's memoir. She discusses three main topics which are described below.
Firstly, women in the lecture explains why Chevalier needed the loan from Swiss merchants if he was wealthy. She explains, Chevalier had the money in terms of commodities which needed some time to be changed to money. Thus, when he spent all his money on the parties and gambling, he borrowed the money from merchants for a few days until his commodities were exchanged for actual money.
Secondly, she discusses how Chevalier was able to describe exact conversation in his memoir many years later. She explains, Chevalier had a habit of writing down all the important conversation which he had during the day. He later consulted these notes when writing memoir many years later.
Lastly, she elaborates how Chevalier's escape from venetian prison was not by bribing the jailer but by escaping throught the hole he made in the ceiling. She supports this argument by mentioning the Venetian Documents which stated that they had to repair the ceiling of the Chevalier's prison cell after his escape.