TOEFL TPO 11 SPEAKING TASK 4

Speaking topics in text

TOEFL TPO 11 SPEAKING TASK 4

ARTICLE:
OUTSIDER ART
Outsider Art is a term used to describe art that is made by people who choose to live and work outside society. The artists who produce this kind of art-Outsider Artists-work in isolation from other artists and have little or no formal artistic training. Because they do not learn conventional artistic techniques from teachers or other artists. Outsider Artists must invent their own ways of doing things. As a result of the unconventional methods that Outsider Artists often use, their woek can look strange and not at all like traditional art to the observer.

LECTURE:
All right, so let's consider the work of the outsider artist Henry Darger. Darger lived by himself in a tiny apartment in Chicago in the 1900s. He had no friends and spent all his spare time there alone creating hundreds of paintings and drawings. He had never formally studied art, and kept his work completely private, so no one ever saw it or responded to it during his lifetime. And so when you see Darger 's work, you notice how unique it is. It doesn't remind you of anything you 've ever seen before. It's very much his own. For example, one piece, it's a water color painting. In this piece he illustrates a story, about the adventures of seven children. But see, Darger had a really hard time drawing human figures. Yet, he managed to come up with his own rather unique solution for the problem. He simply cut out pictures of children from newspapers and magazines and pasted them into his own painted illustration of trees, flowers, and grass. The results look ..um a little strange. Darger's picture looks more cluttered, more crowded with details than the pictures of other artists because its entire surface is painted and there are no spaces left empty. It's also a lot longer than the pictures of most other artists, about nine feet long.

QUESTION: Explain why Henry Darger is considered and Outsider Artist.

Speaking recording
Speaking category

Yes, I took some notes. But I was somehow confused with the question "Explain why Henry Darger is considered and Outsider Artist." It's a bit of different from other task 4 questions. I wondered if it was OK for me to answer this question by the conventional pattern, like start with describing the example given by the professor, and then talk about the topic and its definition in the article in the end. I guess I just spent too much effort on considering how I could connect Henry Darger to the Outsider Artist in every sentences :(