motivation letter

motivation letter

Dear Professors of the Selection Committee,

In order to be a highly effective man, I believe that talent and working hard are not enough, one should also go for his own dreams. This is the idea in which I have believed throughout my life. It took me some time to find out how to pursue my dreams in the real world. From my primary school I found myself extremely interested in earth sciences, know the secrets of the universe and Engineering World. I achieved my best scores in mathematics during my high school, too. Besides, I am interested in new ideas and methods in Algorithms and Learning. It is the reason why I chose Mining Engineering, Geostatistics and Geophysics for my undergraduate and graduate studies respectively. Given the fact that I am able to work proactively in teams, motivate people and gain their trust, make me confident to take huge steps in my life.

Selecting your favorite university major is a difficult task regarding the educational structure in Iran. I plan to follow my dream of being an asset in the Geostatistics or Geophysics a Ph.D. in this area. At the age of 18, I passed the National University Exam being among the high 6% of more than 500,000 participants. I was accepted in University of Kurdistan, a credible university in my country, in the field of Mining Engineering (mineral exploration). In 2014 I took part in National University exam for master degree. I was ranked 320 amongst more than 10,000 participants and I started my graduate studies at Urmia University. One needs to take part in a nationwide exam, holding once a year in Iran. Those who seek to be admitted in Urmia University, need to get high scores in this exam.

During my undergraduate studies, I found the opportunity of taking and learning some useful courses as “Modelling and reserve estimation of deposits and application of Gemcom software in mines”, “Advanced ArcGIS”, “Injection of water curtains and soil mechanics laboratory”, “Electronic” and “Entrepreneurship with KAB approach” Furthermore, I have good talent with programming using MATLAB software, Engineering software, such as Datamine Studio and ArcGIS, Geostatistical software, such as SGeMS and GSLIB, and Geophysical software, such as Geosoft and Mag3D inv. have done several project for resource estimation, geophysics and providing geological map and provide final reports in these fields. In addition to my courses, I took part in different research groups of the Mining Engineering Department which helped me acquire valuable knowledge in a range of areas.

Given the interest in the field of the geostatistics, I chose my thesis based on the use of geostatistics in mining engineering. Subject of may thesis was about mineral resource estimation using geostatistical methods of ordinary kriging (OK), indicator kriging (IK) and probability kriging (PK) in the Qolqoleh gold deposit at the northwestern of Iran. I defended my thesis with an excellent grade (19.5/20) and I wrote three paper using my thesis and one of them presented in an international conference on mining in Tehran and two of them submitted in international journal. Furthermore, given that the field of geophysics is another of my favorite courses, I work on other subjects in the field of geophysics and the combination between two courses of geostatistics and geophysics. In this regard, I wrote a good paper for a geostatistical investigation of 3D magnetic inversion results.

In addition to application of geostatistics and geophysics in mining engineering, I am very interested in these courses in the field of hydrology and the environment and I tried to do research work in these cases but because precise studies have not been done in my country and I could not access the good dataset. I am very interested to continue my study in Ph.D. for application of geostatistics and geophysics in each subject of geosciences. One of my favorite fields in geostatistics is study on multiple-point geostatiscs and for geophysics in 3D inversion.

My studies in Mining Engineering not only have provided me a strong theoretical background and research experience, but also has created several opportunities for me to use my knowledge in practice. I work as a mining engineer in both of fieldwork and office in several project in Iran and Iraq. My fieldworks were about mineral exploration and geological study such as work with magnetometer and geo-electrical devices, drilling supervision and workshop manager and in office I interpreted geophysical surveys of geo-electric and magnetic and preparing geological map and mineral resource estimation report for several mines in Iran.

I intend to do a whole body of research and studies during my PhD to be able to teach the best up to date geophysical or geostatistical topics to my students as a professor.

Finally, I thank you for the time you allocated for reading my letter.

Yours faithfully,

Need to polish sentences. They are not outstanding.

----------------------