statement of intent

statement of intent

My interest in the management of environment and its complex challenges dates back to my years in high school and this grew as my exposure to anthropogenic impacts on the environment increases. This has led to a great desire to study a course relating to the environment; hence, the choice to study and build a career in geography. During my undergraduate studies, I have developed special interest in geographical information system (GIS) and remote sensing analysis. My other areas of strength include ecosystem management, disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and mitigation sciences, environmental impact assessment, waste management and the enormous potentials inherent in them both in academics and the larger society. I enjoyed and passed these courses with excellent grades. My passion for these modules stems from their need for logical and analytical thoughts since I have always been strong in areas requiring them.

As an undergraduate intern in a GIS firm, I had hands-on experience in utilizing GIS and remote sensing software as spatial decision support tool for analyzing and solving complex environmental problems. The internship exposure however, acquainted me with the use of information technology in environmental management. This experience along with my excellent academic performance culminated to my emergence as the overall best student in my department at graduation. All of these have stimulated the necessary impetus, and the opportunity to pursue a master’s degree in environmental management on scholarship from the African Union.

At master's class, my desirous and excellent attitude for learning, did not only made me excel with flying colors in my courses, but also positioned me as the second best graduating student in a class of thirty-eight (38) scholars from various countries in Africa. Aside advancing my knowledge in GIS and remote sensing, the master’s program also enriched me with an in-depth knowledge of varying environmental challenges in Africa requiring holistic solutions. Upon graduation, as a young scholar

with desirous attitude for learning, my long term career goal is to proceed my education to Doctor of philosophy echelon. I aim at becoming one of the astute environmentalists, professionals (with requisite certifications) and technocrats in Africa that will proffer solutions to the continent's environmental challenges. I have always loved to solve Africa's environmental challenges using geo-information technology, and this, I have been doing in my little capacity.

More importantly, studying in the prestigious University of British Columbia (UBC) has always been my dream, upon the completion of my graduate program in Ibadan. This is because of its position as one of the leading universities in Canada. I always love to acquire quality education. UBC is one of the universities that have the wherewithal to provide such, due to its notable strengths in environmental studies. It has always been ranked among top ten universities that provide hands-on training and experiences in the field of environment. These considerations are why UBC is undoubtedly a dream place for me; aside other non compelling reasons such as opportunity to have good mentors, high-quality technological advancement, good faculty research outputs, living in the beautiful city of Vancouver among others.

This (MGEM) program; however, is a match to my ultimate career goal and fulfilling my dream. I will be uprightly positioned and updated in the use of geo-information technology for environmental management. I would be better equipped with necessary skills needed in my career towards achieving my aim of contributing my quota to Africa's development. Knowledge gained from this program Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM) would be returned to African environment; directly through services rendered by my environmental firm or indirectly through my community development work. Ultimately, I would be one of the change agents that would bring more holistic solutions to our continent's complex environmental challenges in the near future.

My depth of interest in geo-information technology for managing the environment has grown with time, and I believe these fruitful years of academic trainings and work experience as intern and researcher have equipped me with the wherewithal to sail through and deliver excellently in this program. The possibility of participating in this MGEM program is very exciting and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for your consideration.