Statement of purpose

Statement of purpose

Innovations are progenies of a creative mind that has been nurtured with knowledge and has the potential to benefit the world. My affinity towards art was discovered at a young age when I preferred to sketch over playing games. The fundamentals were made strong by fostering my education, leading to academic excellence in school and college, during which my proclivity for the creative sector grew stronger.

The creation of space into a shelter, one of the vital components of survival, intrigued me and acted as a driving factor to pursue architecture. The admission into one of Mumbai’s most reputed colleges, Academy of Architecture, marked the onset of my architectural journey. The experiences gained, set milestones through events, activities, and people that I came across; making me the person I am today.

My mantras to reach the apogee have been hard work and diligence, being true to which I have accomplished scholastic prominence as a top ranker during senior years. In college, I got to venture into multi-faceted projects, ranging from a bungalow to an entire township, all of which was completed assiduously before the deadline. Owing to this trait, I was appointed as the class representative, which enhanced my leadership and time management qualities.

The experience of hands-on work was achieved through projects like the Bamboo workshop, where a sea viewing deck was built of bamboo using local techniques. A public installation was designed as a part of Mumbai’s prestigious, Kala Ghoda Arts Festival that constituted a walk through known as Metamorphosis, demonstrating the transformation of a caterpillar into a butterfly, using different emotions and senses as the medium. An engineering and architectural intervention of a pause point for urban commuters was proposed through the Maker Mela initiative.

India’s rich historical heritage has put its ancient architecture at the forefront of sustainability. Being an enthusiast about traveling, I got to experience the passive and climate responsive design techniques used in temples and houses, showcasing the abundance of cultural diversity. An inclination towards the history of architecture added a new dimension to my learning curve, prompting my curiosity to know more about other countries, globally. The thought of vernacular architecture coupled with modern techniques to achieve sustainability mushroomed, when I was exposed to the work of renowned architects like Geoffrey Bawa and Charles Correa.

The indigenous knowledge of urbanism through cultural and developmental history caught my interest, making me keen to study more about it. The inquiry on this subject was augmented during my time as an architectural trainee at Malik Architecture, whose work I have always admired and in those 5 months, a new definition of abstraction was learned. A pragmatic approach to the subject of sustainable, culturally responsive built environments was attained through a certified online IIT NPTEL course, acting as a precursor to my design dissertation. The observations of lack of infrastructure and amenities at an NGO for Paraplegics that I visited as a child influenced my research towards generating a second life filled with intent along with the necessities for their independent survival. The solution of which was a Holistic Rehabilitation institute for Paraplegics, designed with principles of neuroscience and biophilia.

I am currently working as an Assistant architect, at RMM Designs where the nitty-gritty under my scope of work is predominantly design of all interior and exterior spaces at a chemical engineering institute in Mumbai. The tasks performed have enhanced my eye for detailed observations and have improved my communication skills through interactions with clients and contractors.

The thought of doing something beneficial for the society, led me to volunteer at Project Adhikaar, an NGO aimed at empowering underprivileged girls for an economically independent life. Through all the interactions and mentoring, I am struck with the realization that not everyone is born with a silver spoon in his or her mouth, making my outlook towards life more positive.

The research initiatives at ASU are best suited to supplement my information about sustainability, through the lenses of vernacular and climate-responsive built spaces. By being a part of some programs like the GRIC Sustainable Housing and Algorithmic Vernacular under Indigenous Design Collaborative and Solar Laboratory and Deck, new perspectives of active/passive techniques and solar energy conservation could be manifested.

I am of the conviction that the information acquired will equip me with the necessary skills, to benefit my country through collaborations and research. Alike Arizona, India is blessed with plenty of solar energy which needs to be harnessed for optimum application. More thought-provoking interventions like the SHADE/ Solar Decathlon project would add value to my academic graduation course since I am particularly interested in the development of a sustainable environment through passive design techniques.

The opportunity to be associated with Ar. Philip Horton, through his research team or as a teaching assistant, would be significant in upgrading my knowledge about sustainable architecture. His expertise in the scope of multi-disciplinary practices that include place, culture, and identity reinforced with energy and sustainability are fascinating. The prior experience of assisting my teachers with the orientation program for first-year students has provided me with an excellent grounding to be a research assistant and if I’m offered a place in his research team, I would work punctiliously.

In all, a combination of my skill set enhanced by the cognition offered by the master’s program would lead to an enduring relationship of mutual benefit and worth. With my mantras in mind, I would strive for excellence, proving to be an asset to the institution. I hope to procure admission into The Design School, at ASU and mark the genesis of a new expedition in the discipline of Architecture.