Do you agree or disagree? There is no reason to study the past since we live in the present
Some people said that it is a waste of time studying history. Studying history is useless since we are living in the present. However, I completely disagree with that statement. In my opinion, studying the past is very useful because knowing the past can help us to predict what could happen in our future and then we could avoid committing the same mistakes as our ancestors once did. In certain professions, studying the past can also give us an idea in how to resolve issues that we are going through in the present moment.
To begin with, studying history is very important for the humanity. Studying our past make us to go back in time and analyze our past action and their results. It makes us to have a critical judgment of our ancestors’ actions and see whether their decisions were right or wrong at that time. This way we will not commit the same mistakes that our ancestors had committed. For example, if we go back in time and examine how many people were killed and how many people is still suffering with the effects of the Hiroshima’s nuclear bomb, we would not let it ever happen again.
Moreover, in certain profession studying history can be very helpful when difficult cases come across in the present. For example, lawyers eventually have difficult cases to resolve in their practice. In order to help their clients, sometimes lawyers have to go back in time and search what their colleagues have done in the past in order to resolve similar issues that they are going through. Studying history is also important for architects. By studying ancient constructions they would get to know the ancient techniques used by our ancestors, their different styles from one region to another and analyze what did work well at that time and they can adapt the same style and techniques for our actual constructions.
To sum up, from my point of view studying history can be very useful for the humanity. Knowing our ancestors actions in the past can open up our eye and help us to predict our future and avoid our ancestors’ mistakes. Studying the past can also be very useful in certain professions. Looking back in to the past can give them a clue in how to handle difficult cases that eventually could come across in their profession.
|2013-05-27||poons||58||Read full essay|
- Is the ability to read and write more important today than in the past Why or why not Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer90
- Do you agree or disagree There is no reason to study the past since we live in the present58
- Some believe that the Earth is being harmed (damaged) by human activity. Other feel that human activity makes the Earth a better place to live. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.85
- It is generally agreed that society benefits from the work of its members. Compare the contributions of artists to society with the contributions of scientists to society. Which type of contribution do you think is valued more by society? Give specific re87
- Movies are popular all over the world Explain why movies are so popular Use reasons and specific examples to support your answer76
Sentence: Studying our past make us to go back in time and analyze our past action and their results.
Description: The fragment past make us is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace make with verb, past tense
Need to remove repetitive words and sentences.
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 22 in 30
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 19 15
No. of Words: 394 350
No. of Characters: 1818 1500
No. of Different Words: 167 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.455 4.7
Average Word Length: 4.614 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.381 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 122 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 98 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 53 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 32 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 20.737 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 11.224 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.579 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.362 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.503 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.186 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 5