34. The vice president of human resources at Climpson Industries sent the following recommendation to the company's president.
"In an effort to improve our employees' productivity, we should implement electronic monitoring of employees' Internet use from their workstations. Employees who use the Internet from their workstations need to be identified and punished if we are to reduce the number of work hours spent on personal or recreational activities, such as shopping or playing games. By installing software to detect employees' Internet use on company computers, we can prevent employees from wasting time, foster a better work ethic at Climpson, and improve our overall profits."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
The vice president of human resources at Climpson concludes that the company should implement electronic monitoring to restrict its employees’ private internet use. He assumes this policy would be helpful in encouraging productivity and work ethic by reducing private internet use. However, the vice president’s prediction is based on numerous unwarranted assumptions which lend the whole prediction falls apart.
First, the vice president unwarrantedly assumes that no use of private internet use automatically improve the working hours. It is admittedly suggested that the employees have used...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- 34. The vice president of human resources at Climpson Industries sent the following recommendation to the company's president."In an effort to improve our employees' productivity, we should implement electronic monitoring of employees' Internet use from t 80
- 80. Nations should suspend government funding for the arts when significant numbers of their citizens are hungry or unemployed. 80
- 108 110 Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field 10
- 5. A recently issued twenty-year study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia investigated the possible therapeutic effect of consuming salicylates. Salicylates are members of the same chemical family as aspirin, a medicine used to treat headach 43
- 40. Claim: When planning courses, educators should take into account the interests and suggestions of their students.Reason: Students are more motivated to learn when they are interested in what they are studying. 90
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- OK
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 22 15
No. of Words: 421 350
No. of Characters: 2296 1500
No. of Different Words: 219 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.53 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.454 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.879 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 179 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 145 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 98 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 72 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 19.136 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 6.587 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.636 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.311 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.504 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.092 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5