34. The vice president of human resources at Climpson Industries sent the following recommendation to the company's president.
"In an effort to improve our employees' productivity, we should implement electronic monitoring of employees' Internet use from their workstations. Employees who use the Internet from their workstations need to be identified and punished if we are to reduce the number of work hours spent on personal or recreational activities, such as shopping or playing games. By installing software to detect employees' Internet use on company computers, we can prevent employees from wasting time, foster a better work ethic at Climpson, and improve our overall profits."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.
The vice president of human resources at Climpson concludes that the company should implement electronic monitoring to restrict its employees’ private internet use. He assumes this policy would be helpful in encouraging productivity and work ethic by reducing private internet use. However, the vice president’s prediction is based on numerous unwarranted assumptions which lend the whole prediction falls apart.
First, the vice president unwarrantedly assumes that no use of private internet use automatically improve the working hours. It is admittedly suggested that the employees have used...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- 61. People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences. 90
- 4. The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little 87
- 65. Every individual in a society has a responsibility to obey just laws and to disobey and resist unjust laws. 80
- 108 110 Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field 10
- 111 / 149. In any field—business, politics, education, government—those in power should be required to step down after five years.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim and the reason on which that c 80
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- OK
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 22 15
No. of Words: 421 350
No. of Characters: 2296 1500
No. of Different Words: 219 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.53 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.454 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.879 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 179 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 145 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 98 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 72 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 19.136 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 6.587 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.636 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.311 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.504 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.092 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5