"The birthrate in our city is declining: in fact, last year's birthrate was only one-half that of five years ago. Thus the number of students enrolled in our public schools will soon decrease dramatically, and we can safely reduce the funds budgeted for e

"The birthrate in our city is declining: in fact, last year's birthrate was only one-half that of five years ago. Thus the number of students enrolled in our public schools will soon decrease dramatically, and we can safely reduce the funds budgeted for education during the next decade. At the same time, we can reduce funding for athletic playing fields and other recreational facilities. As a result, we will have sufficient money to fund city facilities and programs used primarily by adults, since we can expect the adult population of the city to increase.".....

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The argument states that the birthrate is declining in the city of Calatrava. Based on this evidence, the writer claims that the needed budget for specifying on children educational and entertainment facilities will decrease due to decline of school children in the following years. Hence, we can allocate more fund for athletic fields and other recreational facilities. This proposal may seem logical at first glance. However, the writer’s conclusion is based on assumption that is not provided with supportive evidence.

First of all, the writer claims that last year birthrate was only one-half in comparison with five years ago. This trend might not be reliable trend for concluding that we would have tremendous decrease in the number of school children. It is likely that during the past five years, a baby boom had happened. So, if this is the case, there would not be a noticeable decline in the number of children who are supposed to enroll in schools in the upcoming years. This derides the writer premise stating that we can safely reduce the fund needed for the children education during next decade and specify it for budgets needed for adults activities.

Another piece of evidence that could weaken the writer’s conclusion would be the the assumption stating that we can reduce funding for athletic and other recreational reinforcement for children. Teenager are not noticeably engaged with athletic playing fields. This is an entertainment that majority of adults usually tends to experience. For example, American football is a game that has nothing to do with children and only youngster are fully pursue it. Therefore, there would not be considerable budget for teenager in this type of activities.

To conclude, the argument is based on some evidence that would weaken his conclusion due to lack of supportive information. The writer should provide us with the exact trend of birthrate during the past five years as well as clarifying the correlation between children activities and athletic playing fields which is usually used for adults.

--------------------
argument 1 -- not OK. maybe people from other states move to this city.

argument 2 -- not OK. maybe athletic playing fields and other recreational facilities are shared by adults and children both.
-------------------
Need to argue against the conclusion. For this topic it is:

'As a result, we will have sufficient money to fund city facilities and programs used primarily by adults, since we can expect the adult population of the city to increase.'

-------------------