The following appeared in a memorandum from the planning department of an electric power company."Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy. At the same time, manufacturers are now marketing many home appli

The following appeared in a memorandum from the planning department of an electric power company.

"Several recent surveys indicate that home owners are increasingly eager to conserve energy. At the same time, manufacturers are now marketing many home appliances, such as refrigerators and air conditioners, that are almost twice as energy efficient as those sold a decade ago. Also, new technologies for better home insulation and passive solar heating are readily available to reduce the energy needed for home heating. Therefore, the total demand for electricity in our area will not increase—and may decline slightly. Since our three electric generating plants in operation for the past twenty years have always met our needs, construction of new generating plants will not be necessary."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The author of the memorandum from the planning department of an electric power company asserts that because of modern energy efficient technology and public's willingness to use it, the three existing electric plants will be enough to satisfy people's needs and thus erection a new plants is not necessary. This argument is based on several assumptions which should be carefully scrutinized in order to gauge the soundness of the argument.

First of all, we were told that today's manufacturers tend to create more energy efficient items. It is a widely known fact that today's devices are more efficient, however the number of them in each household has dramatically skyrocketed. Computers, cell and smart phones, TV sets and other energy consuming devices have become cheaper and ubiquitous; consequently, despite the shift in item's efficiency, the overall consumption of electricity by residents probably increase.

Moreover, the writer assumes that available technology which is aimed on enegry saving will be inevitably used by residents. However, many people tend to withhold of them due to the fact that implementation of the new technology often requires significant financial investment. People may not merely have enough money to install them or may consider that return from the technology usage will not be appreciable enough. Thus demos may not use the available technology and the fall of energy consumption may not occur.

Besides, the writer surmises that three plants which have satisfied people's needs for twenty years will do it in the future. However, this belief is not supported properly. Yesterday experience may not suit for tomorrow requirements. For instance, if the number of local residents enhances the demand for electricity will inescapably increase. Moreover, the likeliness exists that these plants will wear off with the time. Mechanism which generate electricity may do it less effective today than they did ten of twelve years ago. All these examples illustrate that despite the previous success the existing plants may not meet requirements of the future .

Finally, the author maintains that construction on new generating plants is not needed. This statement is based on assumption that demand for electricity will not improve and that three existing plants will produce enough electricity. However, we have just demonstrated, that these assumptions are unwarranted. Additionally to it. We know that these electric plants were constructed twenty years ago. As we know ecological requirements and technology have stepped forward since than. In other words, the old plants may be ecologically unfriendly and be inefficient. Perhaps these plants use such fossil fuel as coil which today is seemed as dangerous for people's health. Consequently, the necessity for building new electric plants may exist and thus author's assumption is unreasonable.

In conclusion, the author of the memo states that demand for electricity will not enhance and the existing plants will be enough to meet consumers' needs and thus the new plants may not be built. However, the author fails to consider factors which undermine his or her conclusion and thus the argument and the prediction which is based on it may not bring expected result.

Sentence: Moreover, the writer assumes that available technology which is aimed on enegry saving will be inevitably used by residents.
Error: enegry Suggestion: energy

----------------

argument 3 and argument 4 are duplicated.

suggested:
It is quite possible that the energy usage on businesses and industries will increase as the number of factories in the country rises in the future.

-----------------