"Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey asked video-game players what features they thought were most impo

"Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey asked video-game players what features they thought were most important in a video game. According to the survey, players prefer games that provide lifelike graphics, which require the most up-to-date computers. Whirlwind has just introduced several such games with an extensive advertising campaign directed at people ten to twenty-five years old, the age-group most likely to play video games. It follows, then, that the sales of Whirlwind video games are likely to increase dramatically in the next few months

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted

The author of the argument avers that due to introduction of several new games with life-like graphics the sales of Whirlwind video games should skyrocket. This statement is buttressed by evidence which is connected with the conclusion by several assumptions which ought to be carefully scrutinized in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the soundness of the argument.

The first evidence which is used by the originator is the results of the survey of video-game players. These gamers have claimed that they value the most games which provide life-like graphics. However, may the findings of the survey be used for bolstering the author's conclusion? Probably the people who were interviewed in this research do not belong to the target group of Whirlwind video games. Consequently, if these players do not represent the customers of Whirlwind, the results of the study are useless for predicting company's success.

The second evidence which is given to us is that the company is going to introduce several games with life-like graphics. The introduction of them will be heavily supported by advertising campaign which is aimed at people from ten to twenty five years old. The author predicts that it will be a triumph for the company. However, this belief is not supported properly. The author tends to use the recent research to buttress this claim but as we have demonstrated above he has failed to prove that extrapolation of the results are reasonable; therefore the likeliness exists that actual customers of Whirlwind's games prefer other characteristics of computer games. Moreover, we know that the target group of the company has age from 10 to 25. The people who belong to this age span usually lack money or heavily depend on parents' financial support. This is an important factor in particular because the development of such games has probably required significant investments and thus the cost of the games may increase dramatically. Additionally to it, the usage of these games require from a player to have an up-to-date computer which costs a large amount of money which people, who belong to the group at which the advertising campaign aimed, perhaps do not have.

Finally, the argument states that the games' introduction will lead to inescapable increase of the company's proceeds; however, as we have just displayed, these new games may not satisfy the desires of the potential buyers and moreover, even if they do so, purchasers may not be able to buy them or do not have needed equipment to play them. As a result, the predicted increase is not warranted.

What is more, the author predicts that two years decline will be easily corrected by an introduction of new products. However, does absence of these games lead to the disastrous situation of the company? Perhaps, other problems such as ineffective management or bad investments cause the current problems and the intro of the new games with life-like graphics will not automatically solve the company’s of the problems.

In conclusion, the argument asserts that the introduction of new products will reverse the current trend and will lead to the improvement of financial situation of the company; unfortunately, he or she does not manage to create a solid support for this conclusion.

argument 2 -- this is duplicated to argument 1:

However, this belief is not supported properly. The author tends to use the recent research to buttress this claim but as we have demonstrated above he has failed to prove that extrapolation of the results are reasonable; therefore the likeliness exists that actual customers of Whirlwind's games prefer other characteristics of computer games.

this is wordy:
Moreover, we know that the target group of the company has age from 10 to 25. The people who belong to this age span usually lack money or heavily depend on parents' financial support. This is an important factor in particular because the development of such games has probably required significant investments and thus the cost of the games may increase dramatically. Additionally to it, the usage of these games require from a player to have an up-to-date computer which costs a large amount of money which people, who belong to the group at which the advertising campaign aimed, perhaps do not have.

argument 3 -- not OK

---------------