The following appeared as a recommendation by a committee planning a ten-year budget for the city of Calatrava.
"The birthrate in our city is declining: in fact, last year's birthrate was only one-half that of five years ago. Thus the number of students enrolled in our public schools will soon decrease dramatically, and we can safely reduce the funds budgeted for education during the next decade. At the same time, we can reduce funding for athletic playing fields and other recreational facilities. As a result, we will have sufficient money to fund city facilities and programs used primarily by adults, since we can expect the adult population of the city to increase."
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
The author's conclusion that there would be sufficient money to fund city facilities and programs used by adults is based on ambiguous data and flawed assumption. In order to properly evaluate the argument additional evidences are needed. The evidences could either weaken or strengthen the claim but more importantly it can help reach a credible conclusion.
Firstly the author mentions that the last year's birthrate was half of that of five years ago. However he doesn't provide a precise figure. Maybe five years ago only 50 infants were born and now 25 are born. This is not an dramat...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future. 80
- Claim Knowing about the past cannot help people to make important decisions today Reason We are not able to make connections between current events and past events until we have some distance from both Write a response in which you discuss the extent to w 87
- "Commuters complain that increased rush-hour traffic on Blue Highway between the suburbs and the city center has doubled their commuting time. The favored proposal of the motorists' lobby is to widen the highway, adding an additional lane of traffic. Oppo 76
- Over the past year our late night news program has devoted increasingly more time to covering national news and less time to covering weather and local news During the same time period most of the complaints we received from viewers were concerned with th 87
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands were extinct. Previous archaeological findings have suggested that early humans general 88
argument 1 -- OK
argument 2 -- OK
argument 3 -- OK
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.0 out of 6
Category: Very Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 31 15
No. of Words: 481 350
No. of Characters: 2467 1500
No. of Different Words: 216 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.683 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.129 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.703 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 176 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 141 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 113 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 70 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 15.516 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 5.94 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.548 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.274 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.438 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.062 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5