The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint

etamaha's picture

In the given argument, the business manager of a television station claims that its television station's late-night news program has devoted more time to national news and less time to weather and local news over the past year. Per the manager, during this tenure, he received umpteen complaints with regard to his station's coverage of weather and local news. Also, he claims that the local businesses have canceled their advertising contracts with his television station. Per him, restoring the time to weather and local news to its former level is the only solution to attract more viewers to the program and avoid losing further revenues from advertisements. Although the business manager has tried his best to bolster his argument he fails to delve deeper into the reasons behind these claims. Hence, the above argument remains unwarranted and needs to be scrutinized before reaching a conclusion.

Per businessman, there has been a rant of complaints concerned with the station's coverage of weather and local news. But he fails to elaborate on the content of these complaints. It is possible that the complaints were regarding the weather and local news being forecasted during some other hours of the day and not particularly the late night hours. Also, since the content of the complaints is obscure, it is not clear if these complaints had anything to do with the broadcasting of national news instead of local and weather news during the late night programs.

Now, the evidence for local businessmen canceling their advertising contracts with the television station is not mentioned clearly. It is possible that the television station was not doing their advertising job proficiently, not abiding by the contract and hence they chose to move out. Another reason can be their businesses were not getting benefitted despite spending so heftily on advertising and they chose to move out of the contract. Another possible reason can be more renowned television stations favoring advertisements at genuine costs and doing advertisements more often than this television station. For instance, this television station was charging 1000$ for flashing advertisements 5 times a day, but other stations provided a more budget-friendly contract for advertising 5 times per hour at the same cost. Thus, businessmen are likely to move out and switch to other advertising firms.

Hence, we need to give substantial answers to the questions raised above before aligning our views with the business manager of the television station. It is important to scrutinize each aspect and then find a fruitful solution to the argument discussed here.

Your rating: None Average: 5.3 (2 votes)