A recent survey of 250 adults between the ages of 30 and 45 showed an association between the number of hours adults spend online each day and self-reporting of symptoms commonly associated with depression. The survey found that adults who spend 30 hours

A recent survey of 250 adults between the ages of 30 and 45 showed an association between the number of hours adults spend online each day and self-reporting of symptoms commonly associated with depression. The survey found that adults who spend 30 hours or more online each week were twice as likely as others to report that they "frequently" had trouble concentrating. Of adults who reported spending more than 30 hours per week online, 20% also reported that they had felt "sad, down, or blue" at least three times within the past month.

These results suggest that spending too much time online is linked with depression, and people who want to improve their well-being should strictly limit the time they spend online.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The argument cited by the author that spending too much time online is linked with depression, raises many unanswered questions from the context, undermining the authenticity of the argument. The primary question that the author neglected is the validity of the survey.

The survey was conducted on 250 adults between the ages of 30 and 45. The circumstances under which the survey was conducted has not been mentioned. Whether it was during work hours or in a mall, or it had questions that were directly associated depression. If the people who were surveyed used internet for work purpose or recreational (facebook, twitter,etc.). The mentioned survey appears to be vague, as the details cited depend tremendously on the conditions under which the survey was conducted.

Moreover, the question arises, whether the people being surveyed belonged to the IT sector or other sectors. People working in the IT sectors work on the internet all day long, the whole week. The author has not clarified the reasons causing depression in such individuals. The survey may have had a question asking generally if they faced depression or not. It is not justified in the argument. As mentioned in the argument, of adults who spent more that 30 hours online, 20% also reported they had felt "sad down, or blue". This may also be because of the work pressure, deadlines, or failure at deals, for people belonging to corporate sector/ IT sector. This question has been left unanswered by the author.

Another doubt that surfaces when we read the argument is if the self proclaimed depression has only one reason, being online. The people may be having different issues in their respective lives causing depression, which are not taken into consideration in this argument. Personal issues, work related problems, self esteem issues etc., all these issues may be the primary reason for depression. Linking being online and depression, without any significant explanation renders the argument, invalid.

Therefore, the author should consider answering the questions raised above, to make the argument citing spending too much time online is linked with depression, reasonable.

All three arguments are about possible other reasons which may have caused depression.

read a sample:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-argument-task-essays/recent-survey-250-a…