Essay topics: A recently issued twenty-year study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia investigated the possible therapeutic effect of consuming salicylates. Salicylates are members of the same chemical family as aspirin, a medicine used to treat headaches. Although many foods are naturally rich in salicylates, food-processing companies also add salicylates to foods as preservatives. The twenty-year study found a correlation between the rise in the commercial use of salicylates and a steady decline in the average number of headaches reported by study participants. At the time when the study concluded, food-processing companies had just discovered that salicylates can also be used as flavor additives for foods, and, as a result, many companies plan to do so. Based on these study results, some health experts predict that residents of Mentia will suffer even fewer headaches in the future.
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.
The note according to a research conducted about the effect of salicylates as a painkiller in citizens of Mentia for the last twenty years, concluded that the extra usage of this substance as flavor in the food industry will cause to the reduction of the headache in Mentia. This result and prediction cannot be accepted as it stands since it relies on the series of assumptions and pieces of evidence which are questionable. Therefore, for verification of this prediction, the author should responses a list of questions which will be discussed in the following paragraphs.
This first question which comes to mind is, does salicylates and aspirin own the same property for treatment? Since sharing an identical family cannot solidify the possession of similar nature from two materials. Indeed, the same molecules for the sake of the various structure of the atomic organization illustrate the different feature. Therefore, this prolong study which takes twenty years should present more cogent evidence about the effectiveness of salicylates as the therapeutic instead of the vague prediction about its possibility merely for sharing the identical family with the aspirin.
Another major problem in the note which highlights a list of inquiry is the scope and reliability of the conducted research. As surmised in the note, the study finds a link between the increment of commercial usage of salicylates as preservatives and the number of the reported headaches by the studied population. While this hypothesis in the first glance seems logic and reliable; however, it is skeptical and raises questions such as do these considered population for study consume these preserved foods by salicylates? Do these people take an extra treatment for their headaches, or the consumption of these foods is the main reason for the decrement of pain? Since there is no lucid clue about the diet and lifestyle of these case studies, it is hard to substantiate the validity of its finding. Besides, even accuracy of research was undoubtful, the generalization of finding to the entire population of Mentia is not acceptable and causes this question that does this considered group completely represent the entire population in Mentia? Since factors such as the gender, age, lifestyle, genetic background, and living condition are vital parameters which lead to the variation of the health status of people, and the considered sample group for study should indicate the whole denizens health status according to these parameters.
Finally, at the end of the note there is a surmise that by the additive implementation of salicylates as flavor in foods, the number of people in Mentia who suffer the headache will be decreased. This assumption actually underestimated some crux and substantial concerns and can be accepted if responses to some questions about the health boundary for intake number of salicylates and inclusion of this added amount in this boundary. In fact, the writer should answer, what is the standard level of intake salicylates to not threaten the people live? Because of the consumption of materials as overdose is dangerous for people health. Furthermore, does this addition usage of salicylates as flavor fit in this limit or not? Otherwise, this assumption cannot be accorded.
To wrap it up, all the aforementioned questions depict the shakiness of this note which requires further explanation for its verification.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|2 weeks 1 day ago||asdas||37||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 4 days ago||tulipkatie||58||Read full essay|
|4 weeks 1 day ago||nikkk||53||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||YING||50||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||YING||60||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||YING||50||Read full essay|
|3 months 1 week ago||Ghader||68||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||heshan008||48||Read full essay|
|3 months 2 weeks ago||afsal2323||51.5||Read full essay|
|4 months 1 week ago||Myesha||59||Read full essay|
- 17.The following appeared in a memo from the director of a large group of hospitals."In a laboratory study of liquid antibacterial hand soaps, a concentrated solution of UltraClean produced a 40 percent greater reduction in the bacteria population th (58)
- The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region expe (54)
- 1.The main benefit of the study of history is to dispel the illusion that people living now are significantly different from people who lived in earlier times.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme (50)
- The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of h (58)
- . Many important discoveries or creations are accidental: it is usually while seeking the answer to one question that we come across the answer to another.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement a (66)
- 14.The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of marketing at Dura-Sock, Inc."A recent study of our customers suggests that our company is wasting the money it spends on its patented Endure manufacturing process, which ensures that our (60)
- 1.In order for any work of art — for example, a film, a novel, a poem, or a song — to have merit, it must be understandable to most people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain y (58)
- The following appeared in an editorial in a business magazine."Although the sales of Whirlwind video games have declined over the past two years, a recent survey of video-game players suggests that this sales trend is about to be reversed. The survey (44)
- 1.The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for (66)
- Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, because t (43)