Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa

Shrew's picture

The argument stated here concludes that woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern attributed to Palean village may not be its unique creation due the discovery of the basket in another village nearby. The author uses the presence of a river dividing the two villages and absence of any evidence of boats to prove that Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean. However, the author's assumptions are deeply flawed and the evidence presented is inconsequential in developing the cogency of the argument.
First of all, the author mentions that the river dividing the two villages is wide and deep and could not be crossed without boats. But the author makes a flawed assumption here. Although the river is wide and deep now, it might not have been the same years ago, when the civilization existed on its banks. It is possible that the river was narrow and shallow and could be crossed over on foot, making trade and exchange of goods possible. Such a possibility will invalidate the conclusion that the author arrives upon, since the baskets could have been brought to Lithos but Palean merchants.
Secondly, the author mentions that no boat has been found in the Palean village and hence rules out the possibility of boats having existed at the time. It is possible that perishable rafts made out of tree stalks were used by the people in the village to cross the river. Since rafts made out of stalks do not last for decades, no evidence of such boats has been found. But Just because no evidence has been found, does not rule out their existence altogether. Hence it is imprudent to assume that boats did not exist at all.
Moreover, it is possible that the idea of Palean baskets originated in the Palean village and was shared with the nearby villages using birds as messengers. Such modes of communications have been known to exist during the ancient times. Hence, ruling out the possibility of communication between the two villages completely is unwise.
Finally, building upon the author's assumption that no boats were used by the people, it is possible that other means of crossing the river might have existed at the time. For instance, a bridge connecting the two banks might have existed during those times, which may have been destroyed during a recent flooding and hence no evidence of the same remains. The presence of such a bridge can explain the exchange of goods from Palean to Lithos and hence the presence of Palean baskets in Lithos.
In consequence, it is highly unlikely that two different villages which existed during the same time periods, created the same woven baskets with the same unique patterns on them. This is possible only if some exchange mechanism existed between the two villages. Unless the author provides more evidence to substantiate the assumptions, the conclusion derives by the author is unsound.

Your rating: None Average: 5.9 (2 votes)