The following is a letter to the editor of an environmental magazine.
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species of amphibians were observed in the park, and the numbers of each species were drastically reduced. One proposed explanation is that the decline was caused by the introduction of trout into the park's waters, which began in 1975. (Trout are known to eat amphibian eggs.)"
Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.
The author attributes the decline in amphibian population and specie number to the introduction of trout to park water. The trouts are known to eat amphibian eggs. However, the author does not consider other potential factors that could bring about a decline in the number of species and their population. This essay suggests other possible reasons for this decline.
Environmental and habitat conditions such as climate, temperature, humidity, water acidity etc. may be responsible for the decline in amphibians, especially the number of species. Perhaps certain species are well adapted to these ...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a manufacturing company."During the past year, workers at our newly opened factory reported 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than workers at nearby Panoply Industries. Panoply produces products 90
- Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.Reason: The surest indicator of a great nation is actually the welfare of all its people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which 95
- The following appeared in an editorial in a local newspaper."Commuters complain that increased rush-hour traffic on Blue Highway between the suburbs and the city center has doubled their commuting time. The favored proposal of the motorists' lobby is to w 97
- Claim: Any piece of information referred to as a fact should be mistrusted, since it may well be proven false in the future.Reason: Much of the information that people assume is factual actually turns out to be inaccurate.Write a response in which you dis 90
- The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Parkville Daily newspaper."Throughout the country last year, as more and more children below the age of nine participated in youth-league sports, over 40,000 of these young players suffered injuries. 90
Sentence: Species possessing features that enhance survival in their habitat are more likely to succeed over those who do not possess these favorable feature, and this may ultimately lead to their decline over time as explained by Darwinian thoery of evolution.
Error: thoery Suggestion: theory
Sentence: Secondly, as the amphibian population begins to grow over time, it may begin to experience overpopulation and overcrowding issues if their habitats are not adjusted to accomodate their population rise.
Error: accomodate Suggestion: accommodate
Sentence: Perhaps if there is a disproportiante prevalence of male amphibians over their female counterpart, there may result a decline in the reproduction rate as there may not be enough female amphibians available to lay new eggs.
Error: disproportiante Suggestion: disproportionate
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 5.5 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 3 2
No. of Sentences: 18 15
No. of Words: 432 350
No. of Characters: 2274 1500
No. of Different Words: 189 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.559 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.264 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.908 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 171 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 145 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 97 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 80 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 24 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 10.625 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.778 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.385 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.628 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.155 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 6 5