The following report appeared in the newsletter of the West Meria Public Health Council."An innovative treatment has come to our attention that promises to significantly reduce absenteeism in our schools and workplaces. A study reports that in nearby East

Essay topics: The following report appeared in the newsletter of the West Meria Public Health Council.
"An innovative treatment has come to our attention that promises to significantly reduce absenteeism in our schools and workplaces. A study reports that in nearby East Meria, where fish consumption is very high, people visit the doctor only once or twice per year for the treatment of colds. Clearly, eating a substantial amount of fish can prevent colds. Since colds represent the most frequently given reason for absences from school and work, we recommend the daily use of Ichthaid—a nutritional supplement derived from fish oil—as a good way to prevent colds and lower absenteeism."
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

Chukky's picture

The author of this report advocates for the daily use of Ichtaid in order to prevent colds and lower absenteeism. The authors reasoning is based on the argument that fish oil helps prevent cold; however, the argument is lacking certain evidence needed to convince the public of the efficacy of such a recommendation.

The author cites the low doctor visit of East Meria, where fish consumption is high. The author therefore reasons that the cause for the low doctor visit in East Meria is the fish consumption. This is a case of a confusion of correlation with causality. The fact that the people of East Meria are healthy and at the same time eat a lot of fishes, does not suggest that fishes are ...

Note: Only testbig VIP readers can access the full content of this essay.

Subscribe now as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.