The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.
Both competition and cooperation are means of preparing a young people in a society towards excellence and leadership. Though these two attributes may seem opposide to each other, they jointly play a role in the development and emergence of great industrial nations. A quintessential example of such instance is America's ascendancy to eminence in the begining of the 20th century.
America was a nation founded on the free maket of capitalism. The driving force behind capitalism is competition. The American culture imbued on its people a sense of independency. Every man was the boss of his life. There were no knights, dukes, or officially recognized elite class as in Europe. The state looked on each man equally. However such recognition excludes other races who at certain time in America's history were not recognized as human beings worthy of rights. Nevertheless, it is this spirit of individualism that fostered the fervor of America's competitive spirit. Each individual was working hard to surpass his colleague and ascend to the top. The top had no reservation; it was open to all. This fierce competition brought out the best in the American society. Inventions from the electric bulb, to the cotton gin, all emanated from America. Patents and property rights to protect intellectual and physical properties helped encourage such healthy competition and by the advent of the 20th century, America had emerged an economic super power.
However, America's success has not all been based on competition. Cooperation was also key. No period than the World Wars and Cold wars of the 20th century serve to buttress the cooperative spirits of the Americans. World War 2, in particular, tested America's unity. Though not directly involved in the war initially, it eventually got dragged into it. The cooperation among Americans of all classes during this period was remarkable. Women worked in factories and industries, as men were conscripted for war. There was a unity and public support for the American government. Despite the economic set backs of the Great Depression, the American society unfied its resources and interest and were able to emerge triumphant from war. The same was the case in the Cold war. There was a show of public support from the American people. Scientists worked hard to give the American government an edge in the new face off with Russia. Though some of the allegations of the American government were later discovered to be propagandas, the American people stood patriotic to the cause of their government, believing their fight as a struggle to preserve democracy and liberty; especially in the rising tide of dictatorial communism
America's success is justification that great socities are the products of both competition and cooperation. However, the challenge lies in managing both to bring about success.
- The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a manufacturing company."During the past year, workers at our newly opened factory reported 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than workers at nearby Panoply Industries. Panoply produces products 90
- Claim When planning courses educators should take into account the interests and suggestions of their students Reason Students are more motivated to learn when they are interested in what they are studying Write a response in which you discuss the extent 54
- Competition for high grades seriously limits the quality of learning at all levels of education.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In dev 63
- A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of f 68
- The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint 57
Sentence: Though these two attributes may seem opposide to each other, they jointly play a role in the development and emergence of great industrial nations.
Error: opposide Suggestion: opposite
Sentence: A quintessential example of such instance is America's ascendancy to eminence in the begining of the 20th century.
Error: begining Suggestion: beginning
Sentence: America was a nation founded on the free maket of capitalism.
Error: maket Suggestion: market
Sentence: Despite the economic set backs of the Great Depression, the American society unfied its resources and interest and were able to emerge triumphant from war.
Error: unfied Suggestion: No alternate word
Sentence: America's success is justification that great socities are the products of both competition and cooperation.
Error: socities Suggestion: No alternate word
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.041 0.07
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 4.0 out of 6
Category: Good Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 0 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 5 2
No. of Sentences: 31 15
No. of Words: 458 350
No. of Characters: 2344 1500
No. of Different Words: 247 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.626 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.118 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.857 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 176 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 140 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 100 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 71 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 14.774 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 7.995 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.226 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.238 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.369 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.041 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 4 5