Essay topics: A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of families in Bay City are two-income families, and a nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
The author predicts that the new Captain Seafood should be popular and profitable since a recent study showed an increase in seafood consumption and that majority of families in Bay city are outside eaters; hence Captain Seafood would have a profitable customer base. However, certain facts need to be established before these predictions can hold valid.
Even though there has been a 30 percent increase in sea food consumption, the author does not give any actual figure for the previous consumership which would help analyze the significance of this 30 percent increase in sea food consumption. If perhaps there were 10 people eating and over the past five years there became 13 eaters of sea food, such an increase is not of great significance to make any valid prediction on the profitability of Captain Sea food. A statistics detailing the amount of sea food consumption in actual figures would help clarify the significance of this 30 percent increase.
Also, this 30 percent increase could be explained by an increase in population of Bay City. If there is an increase in population over the next 5 years, then it is most likely that the fraction of sea food eaters also increased proportionately, hence on the overall the proportion of sea food eaters remained the same though it had experienced an increase. If this is the case, then it does not necesarily mean that sea food is gaining popularity among consumers. An analysis on population data of Bay city would help resolve the above question.
Though the study shows that most Bay city residents are 2 income earners and a nationwide study indicates that such family eat outside most times, it is still yet to be proven that the nationwide behavior is the same as that of Bay city’s. In fact, it could be that Bay city residents are an exception to this general behavior. A similar study should be conducted on Bay city residents to determine if they are most likely to eat outside. Such a study would help evaluate the logic of the author’s argument about seafood likely gaining popularity.
Also while the author points out their is rise in seafood consumption, though there are no restaurants specializing in sea food, it is likely that the sea food consumption mentioned is a result of sea ffood as complements to other meals, as opposed to sea food being the bulk of such meal. If this is the case, then the author has no evidence yet to suggest that Bay city residents who eat outside would be willing to go to a Captain Seafood which specializes only in seafood as perhaps they may enjoy seafood as complements to meals and not seafood as the main constituents of their meal. A study should be conducted on Bay city residents to determine the extent of their preference for sea food, as such result would help validate the authors argument.
Several studies are still needed to determine the validity of this prediction on the popularity of Captain Seafood. Until these studies are conducted, it is difficult for one to predict the fate of Captain Seafood.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|5 days 20 hours firstname.lastname@example.org||38||Read full essay|
|3 weeks 4 days ago||jab||66.5||Read full essay|
|4 weeks 1 day ago||Clark Jones||79||Read full essay|
|1 month 5 days ago||Brandon_Chen||74||Read full essay|
|1 month 2 weeks ago||Shivgovind||61||Read full essay|
|1 month 3 weeks ago||kanishkbar4321@...||30||Read full essay|
|2 months 3 days ago||ahsan.aziza||54||Read full essay|
|2 months 1 week ago||kap||50||Read full essay|
|2 months 4 weeks ago||SOUMEDHIK||45||Read full essay|
|4 months 2 weeks ago||teheiniat||52||Read full essay|
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any (72.5)
- The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree (65)
- The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a manufacturing company."During the past year, workers at our newly opened factory reported 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than workers at nearby Panoply Industries. Panoply produces products (90)
- Claim: Any piece of information referred to as a fact should be mistrusted, since it may well be proven false in the future.Reason: Much of the information that people assume is factual actually turns out to be inaccurate.Write a response in which you dis (90)
- Claim: We can usually learn much more from people whose views we share than from those whose views contradict our own.Reason: Disagreement can cause stress and inhibit learning.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagre (90)
- The following is a letter to the editor of an environmental magazine."Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were (90)
- Evidence suggests that academic honor codes, which call for students to agree not to cheat in their academic endeavors and to notify a faculty member if they suspect that others have cheated, are far more successful than are other methods at deterring che (82.5)
- College students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to (62.5)
- The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulty obtaining reliable supplies of high-quality wool fabric, we discontinued production of (82)
- Claim: The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists.Reason: The surest indicator of a great nation is actually the welfare of all its people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which (95)