The following is a memorandum from the business manager of WLSS television station.
"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increasingly more time to covering national news and less time to covering weather and local news. During the same time period, most of the complaints we received from viewers were concerned with the station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, several local businesses that used to run advertisements during our late-night news program have just cancelled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand the coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs."
The argument is about the television station which decides whether to increase the time distribution of the weather and local news program as before in order to attract more viewers. The business manager of the station proposes some reasons for his assertion to change. The reasons he present seem convincing at the first glance, but I find it quite specious in several grounds after a deeply deliberation.
To begin with, the manager claims that the television station have received lots complaints from viewers about the coverage of their new distribution of national news. However, the manager...
Subscribe as testbig VIP readers and get unlimited access to essays on the top list.
- The council of Maple County, concerned about the county's becoming overdeveloped, is debating a proposed measure that would prevent the development of existing farmland in the county. But the council is also concerned that such a restriction, by limiting 70
- Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas wher65
- The following appeared in a memo written by a dean at Buckingham College. "To serve the housing needs of our students, Buckingham College should build a new dormitory. Buckingham's enrollment is growing and, based on current trends, should double over the85
- According to a recent report by our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen produced movies than in any other year. And yet the percentage of positive reviews by movie reviewers about specific Super Screen movies act69
- The following appeared in a health newsletter."A ten-year nationwide study of the effectiveness of wearing a helmet while bicycling indicates that ten years ago, approximately 35 percent of all bicyclists reported wearing helmets, whereas today that numbe75
Sentence: The reasons he present seem convincing at the first glance, but I find it quite specious in several grounds after a deeply deliberation.
Description: The fragment a deeply deliberation is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace deeply with adjective
It is on top list:
Attribute Value Ideal
Score: 6.0 out of 6
Category: Excellent Excellent
No. of Grammatical Errors: 1 2
No. of Spelling Errors: 0 2
No. of Sentences: 16 15
No. of Words: 355 350
No. of Characters: 1794 1500
No. of Different Words: 169 200
Fourth Root of Number of Words: 4.341 4.7
Average Word Length: 5.054 4.6
Word Length SD: 2.491 2.4
No. of Words greater than 5 chars: 132 100
No. of Words greater than 6 chars: 112 80
No. of Words greater than 7 chars: 58 40
No. of Words greater than 8 chars: 33 20
Use of Passive Voice (%): 0 0
Avg. Sentence Length: 22.188 21.0
Sentence Length SD: 9.167 7.5
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.438 0.12
Sentence-Text Coherence: 0.375 0.35
Sentence-Para Coherence: 0.609 0.50
Sentence-Sentence Coherence: 0.118 0.07
Number of Paragraphs: 5 5