SuperCorp recently moved its headquarters to Corporateville. The recent surge in the number of homeowners in Corporateville proves that Corporateville is a superior place to live then Middlesburg, the home of SuperCorp's current headquarters. Moreover, Mi

SuperCorp recently moved its headquarters to Corporateville. The recent surge in the number of homeowners in Corporateville proves that Corporateville is a superior place to live then Middlesburg, the home of SuperCorp's current headquarters. Moreover, Middleburg is a predominately urban area and according to an employee survey, SuperCorp has determined that its workers prefer to live in an area that is not urban. Finally, Corporateville has lower taxes than Middlesburg, making it not only a safer place to work but also a cheaper one. Therefore, Supercorp clearly made the best decision.
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on the assumptions and what the implications are if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In this argument, the author justifies the shifting of SuperCorp headquarters to Corporateville. The author argues that Corporateville is a better place to live than Middlesburg due to its semi-urban/rural lifestyle. To further buttress his claim, the author mentions that lower taxes in Corporateville make it a safer and a cheaper place to live. The argument appears convincing at first glance. However, a closer examination indicates that the argument is based on too many unstated assumptions, which if not justified, contradict the argument.

Firstly, the author compares Corporateville only to Middlesburg. He does not mention comparisons with other probable areas where SuperCorp could have shifted to. Also, the argument does not provide any concrete statistical data for comparison.

Secondly, the author argues that Corporateville is superior to Middlesburg in terms of lifestyle citing recent surge in number of homeowners. Surge in number of homeowners has no correlation with superior lifestyle.

Thirdly, the author mentions an employee survey which states that the employees prefer to live in non-urban areas. However, no statistics are provided, considering its a survey.

Lastly, the author is of the opinion that lower tax rates in Corporateville implies its a safe and cheap place to work. Lower tax rates and safety have no relation at all. Also lower tax rates does not necessarily imply less expenses.

To conclude, the argument is flawed and hence not convincing. To strengthen it, the author should clearly provide statistical data regarding employee preferences and also different costs in Corporateville and other places for effective comparison. Additionally, the author should justify how Supercorp has made the best decision.

Sentence: However, no statistics are provided, considering its a survey.
Description: The tag a determiner, possessive is not usually followed by a
Suggestion: Refer to its and a

Sentence: Lastly, the author is of the opinion that lower tax rates in Corporateville implies its a safe and cheap place to work.
Suggestion: Refer to its and a