Two years ago radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call in advice programs that it broadcast since that time its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly Given WCQP s recent succe

The station manager of KICK has recommended including more call-in advice programs based on the success of the WCQP radio station. The manager came to this conclusion based on the increase in the audience share resulting from a rise in the number of call-in programs. It appears that the manager has predicted a relationship between call-in programs and audience share. However, the recommendation is based on several unwarranted assumptions. Before the validity of the recommendation can be fully evaluated, three questions need to be answered by the manager.

First, are the two locations roughly comparable? It is possible that the nationwide survey was conducted non-scientifically, which was not inherently representative of each city present in the country. Perhaps a small sample was selected from each county and was used to erroneously extrapolate information. In addition, it is possible that the populations of the two towns are entirely different, with that of Rockville being double or even triple that of Medway. If these are true, then the recommendation does not hold water.

Second, are the conditions prevailing two years ago roughly the same now? The tastes of the public tend to change dramatically with time, and perhaps unpredictably within a short period. It is possible that more popular alternatives to radio, such as television shows grasped public attention. It is possible that with the rapid increase in technological developments, the rate of radio production diminished, forcing even the devoted public to pay heed to other alternatives. If this is true, then the recommendation will be highly undermined.

Third, is it possible for KICK to match the quality of call-in programs provided by WCQP? It is possible that WCQP is funded generously by multinational companies and is able to procure better and more persuasive hosts for their call-in programs, that, on the other hand, might not be affordable by KICK, being a local radio station. In this scenario, the recommendation that the manager made has a high chance of failure.

In conclusion, the argument, as it stands now, is seriously flawed due to several unwarranted assumptions. If the manager could provide more evidence, perhaps in the form of a detailed survey (or a scientific study), the recommendation could be correctly evaluated for its viability. If the above questions are answered by the manager, it will be possible to fully evaluate the validity of the recommendation