Home >> .

The best test of an argument is the argument's ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take.

ishi's picture

Different school of thoughts have different views on same subject matter. Likewise, every individual has his own set of belief for a particular aspect. I am therefore in complete accordance with the aforementioned stance - The best test of any argument is definitely measured by it's convincing ability with a contrasting view.
Any argument has two parameters- one can either support or oppose a given stance. However, there is no great deal of effort required in convincing a person with a similar mindset as per the argument. Indeed, convincing someone with a familiar taste is relatively easier. Nonetheless, to alter the mindset of a person who staunchly opposes a stand is worth laudable. One can take an example of a tolerant Muslim. In the Muslim clan it is a firm belief that co-education is an offence. Despite of possessing such an orthodox view, if a person is successfully able to counsel the Muslim fellow in sending his child to a school and not a Madarasa, then he/she is a great counselor.
Similarly, a renowned politician with his exemplary oratory can cause myriad of people to follow his word. Accordingly such an entity can either inspire the nation to achieve fruition or brainwash a mob for a terrorist attack. A similar situation was faced by Pakistan. The citizens of Pakistan are subject to constant brainwashing by their leaders. Owing to these issues, the country's name is defamed.
Nevertheless, to it is an art to draw the ball in one's court in an argument. This can be further elaborated with an example of a sale's person. If a salesman wants to send a commodity- an energy bar, and if the customer is unwilling to buy the product, the shrewd sales guy can still sweet talk the customer into buying the eatable. This can be achieved only if the salesman is insightful enough to understand the proclivity of the customer. As in the aforementioned example, it may be probable that the customer is diet conscious. Hence, the sales guy would have convinced him/her in buying the bar by a mere show of it's nutrients and calories.
On the contrary, it becomes equally essential for a person who wishes to prove his point of view to stick to the topic. Many times, an individual has vacillating opinions for an argument. Such a person can neither take a stand of his own, nor would he be capable to prove his stance.
In a nutshell, it can therefore be aptly concluded that in any argument it is rather a creative skill to convince an individual with an apposite thought.