The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little im

ishi's picture

In the above mentioned argument, the business manager of Happy Pancake restaurants assumes that majority of the customers dining in his chain of restaurants are happy with the change of butter to margarine in the food menu. However,his/her decision about the replacement plans if inspected with scrutiny seems to be rife with various loopholes.

Firstly, the manager states that as a feedback, less complaints have been received from the customers.He/she supports his claim by mentioning the percentage of populace who have complained i.e.-2%. Nevertheless, this feedback does not necessarily infer that rest of the 98% of the total customers are happy with the change. It might be probable that the way in which most of the people give feedback might be different.Few customers might be showing their dissatisfaction by reducing the tip, while some might have just shifted to some other restaurant. This leaves the restaurant chain clueless about the customer response.

Secondly, the manager claims the change based on server report. Nonetheless, this claim seems to be inadequate as no adequate mention of the no. of servers who have given the report. May be the servers who have reported might belong to only one restaurant of the Happy Pancake chain. Also, the survey pattern has not been put forth. Had the manger enlisted the survey pattern, the argument would have appeared more logical. If a feedback form or questionnaire is given to the customers to fill in regarding the shift from butter to margarine,then the argument might hold more weight. In addition, as a sign of gratitude for filling in the survey feedback, a small gift or discount coupon for the next visit may be given.

Thirdly, the manager doubts the ability of the customers to distinguish between butter and margarine. Might be this indifference is true for the south western region. However, if at all the chain wishes to expand it's business from south to north or any other region, such change may not be equally acceptable. The people of north or east might have a significantly better taste of butter or margarine. Also, they might be capable enough of distinguishing between these two ingredients instantly. Thus, based on the demographics of each region the change may not be valid. This can lead to
future loss to the restaurant chain.

Hence, if the chain wants to maintain it's name in the market, it should undoubtedly work on the aforementioned clauses.

Your rating: None Average: 5 (2 votes)