GRE Argument: An international development organization, in response to a vitamin A deficiency among people in the impoverished nation of Tagus, has engineered a new breed of millet high in vitamin A. While seeds for this new type of millet cost more, far

ishi's picture

In the aforementioned argument, the author has stated that the Government of Tagus should try its’ level best to promote the newly engineered millet, the supposition being the new variety is rich in Vitamin A. Despite the fact that the argument apparently appears to be logical, however, if read with scrutiny, one can conclude that it is rife with various loopholes which need to be corrected.
To begin with, firstly, the author has mentioned that the new millet variety is rich in vitamin A. Thus, he is attempting to convince the government for promoting this breed. Nevertheless, there is no evidence to prove this assumption that the variety would be truly beneficial for the people of Tagus. If the author had cited a clear evidence of the new variety grown in some other village and its’ effect on local populace, the argument would have been more reasonable.
Secondly, it has been stated that the new variety is developed for the nourishment of the populace. However, it might be probable that already the people of Tagus may be cultivating a breed which is rich in vitamin A. But, due to financial reasons or owing to the rarity of the breed, the farmers may have stopped its’ cultivation. In this case, the government should be convinced for the increase in cultivation of this variety rather than developing a new variety altogether.
Thirdly, it is assumed by the author that people would adopt the new breed as millet is already a part of their diet. Nevertheless, such a presupposition can be viewed the other way round. If millet is already a staple diet, then why would the local people invest more and by the somewhat same breed, although in a new form? The author has stated that the farmers would be paid proper subsidies owing to the high cost of millet. However, not every civilian of Tagus is a farmer. Therefore, if another vitamin rich variety is available, the people would prefer that breed rather than paying for the new millet.
Conclusively, the argument should undoubtedly state the above mentioned clauses and give their proper justification for it to appear more convincing .

Your rating: None Average: 3 (2 votes)