Home >> .

The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry, or other fields is by instilling in them a sense of cooperation, not competition. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagre

ForGG's picture

Cooperation, the art of working as a group to achieve a collective goal, is undoubtedly an important value that the young people should learn to develop leadership in the society. The challenge we are facing right now are becoming so complicated that it can hardly be solved by an individual or rely on the expertise from a single discipline. For example, to build a robot, the people from mechanical engineering can solve the problems of assembly and power supply, while the people from software engineering are also required to program the control unit to coordinate different digital parts of the car. Another important lesson for young people is how to adapt to and survive in the competition. Both are necessary to become a well-rounded person, but cooperation is still considered more important, at least in most of the cases.

Firstly, although competition is always the source of motivation to perform better, sometimes it may blind an individual, making them not see the situations where group effort will be greatly more rewarded that the individual effort. Still take the instance of the car manufacturing, if the mechanical person only cares about being superior than other people, thus fail to coordinate with other members who are responsible with other parts of the project. The whole project will surely be jeopardized. One needs to look beyond the scope to see what is best on the individual level and capture the overview of what will most benefit the whole group. The defect of the competition can be perfectly compensated by the cooperation, which is where the instilling the sense of cooperation is vital for the young people.

This is the time that people admire brilliant ideas, in most cases, these ideas are proposed by one or two people, for example, Mark Zuckerberg's idea of building a social network to connect the world. It may be tempting to attribute all the credits to the individual who proposes the idea. However, we cannot ignore the process of the implementation of the idea, which is a process requiring collective effort of many people. Without the cooperation of others, most ideas will only remain as a picture on the whiteboard, and never happen eventually.