Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study that will prepare them for lucrative careers.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supp

Educational institutions should actively encourage their students to choose fields of study that will prepare them for lucrative careers.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

For someone looking for jobs for the first time, their educational background is the only active qualification they have in supporting their capability for that position. In such cases education will be the vital force driving you to a successful career. Hence, when choosing a field students should be clear about their career objectives and educational institutions should help them in doing so. While educational institutions should suggest fields that have a lucrative career opportunities to students, on a long run deciding a field of study only based on the level of profit that can be incurred from it might prove disheartening.

Any career, that one is opting for should help him in reaching a financial stability. This is important for anyone who is just coming out of the college, as most of the students have a good amount of debt from their education loans. Also, in the event of student picking a field with not so good career opportunities, he might end up being jobless or picking a job which is in no way related to his educational background.

While going for fields with good career opportunities is good, how one could weigh the career opportunities in a particular field beforehand is questionable. The market and the industry keep fluctuating, a field with a particular potential right now might not be the same 5 years from now. For example, when the Y2K problem happened number of professionals with knowledge on mainframes where hired. During that time several people from different fields trained themselves in mainframes and started pursuing a career in that. Now, the industry for mainframes in relatively small and suggesting a study in that field wouldn’t be fruitful anymore.

Along with the fluctuations in the industry, one should also think if successful career just means the amount of money he/she makes. There is always a point in ones life, where in he/she feels bad about his career choice. For example, being a stock broker one can make a really good amount of money. As good as the money is, there is equivalent amount of stress involved in everyday work. Some might feel the career that have opted for is not challenging irrespective of the amount of money they are making.

A good career is not the one in which you just make a good amount of money, along with money it should give you the satisfaction of pursuing something which you are happy about. Also, while suggestions are good, the ones that are made without a proper study on its effects, will prove to be bad in future. Educational institutions should encourage students to pursue fields which have a broad scope, so that they don’t have to worry about the uncertainty of the industry. And, students should treat these encouragements as suggestions and study the possible consequences without blindly following them.