The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes."A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of homes

The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes.

"A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. A number of homes in our area built by our competitor Domus Construction have such features and have sold much faster and at significantly higher prices than the national average. To boost sales and profits, we should increase the size of the family rooms and kitchens in all the homes we build and should make state-of-the-art kitchens a standard feature. Moreover, our larger family rooms and kitchens can come at the expense of the dining room, since many of our recent buyers say they do not need a separate dining room for family meals."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In his memo the president of Bowers Builders, comes up with a suggestion on how to model homes going forward. The memo suggests on increasing the size of the family room along with large well-appointed kitchen in increasing the business. For this he draws inspiration from the competitor company and a survey, which indicate that people are more intersted in houses with larger family room and well appointed kitchen. Analyzing the evidence provided we can resolve if the provided suggestion is plausible or not.

First evidence is based on a nation wide survey which indicates that most-desired home feature is large family room and large well-appointed kitchen. While taking this survey into account the president assumes that the survey included a diverse sample with people from different gender, different age groups, and different family count. The assumption might not be true. For instance, the survey might have had a good number of female participants than male. In that event it’s obvious that the female participants might have preferred large, well-appointed kitchen rooms. If the survey had good number of people with big families it is obvious that people with big families usually prefer big family rooms.

Next, while analyzing the business of their competitors the president assumes that the presence of large family rooms and large well-appointed kitches is the only reason for them selling homes at good prices. While, this could have been one of the reasons there could have been other reasons like the houses they constructed might have had good security system and good playing area for kids. For example, a family with kids usually prefer houses with parks nearby so that kids could play. They might also prefer houses with larger family rooms, but, one can’t assume that to be the only reason on which the houses were sold.

The memo states that many of the recent buyers stated that they didn’t prefer separate dining rooms, hence the suggestion is to cut the expense of the dining room and use it for the family room and kitchen. While the recent buyers might have not preferred separate dining rooms, it’s not good to assume, that would be the case with all the future buyers. Most of the recent buyers might have been families who didn’t have relative in and around the city, thus they might not usually gather for big meals. While there might be potential buyers with families in and around the city who might gather periodically for family meals and will surely be in need of big dining rooms.

Finally, while the evidences stated sound plausible when looked peripherally. Analyzing it one can understand that many of the assumptions based on which the suggestion is made might not hold true. Thus, the suggestion based on the provided evidences is not concrete and would need more scrutiny before being implemented.

Sentence: For this he draws inspiration from the competitor company and a survey, which indicate that people are more intersted in houses with larger family room and well appointed kitchen.
Error: intersted Suggestion: interested

Sentence: Next, while analyzing the business of their competitors the president assumes that the presence of large family rooms and large well-appointed kitches is the only reason for them selling homes at good prices.
Error: kitches Suggestion: No alternate word

--------------------
argument 1 -- not OK. A nationwide survey may not apply to 'our area'.

--------------------