The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by theircontemporaries.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with thestatement and explain your reasoning for the position you tak

The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by their
contemporaries.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the
statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and
supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might
not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The statement above claims that the greatness of an individual can only be determined by the
generations that succeed him or her. While contemporaries of an individual can have biases that
obscure their judgement or may not have access to the full details, most great individuals have
already been accurately classified as 'great' by their own contemporaries. Every generation
already has a set of quantifiable checks in place that they use to determine whether an individual
is great or not, and often times, these factors do not change throughout the years.

Firstly, there already exists many immutable factors which we use to determine the greatness of
an individual. These factors are immutable in the sense that they do not vary across time: be it
the past, the present, or the future. Factors such as wealth, fame, or social impact have been used
for millennia to quantify the greatness of an individual. 'Alexander the Great' was great because
of the social impact he had on his society: he was able to build one of the largest, most
impressive empires in human history. His greatness was acknowledged during his time, and tales
of his greatness have carried through into the present. There is no denying that not many people
could accomplish what 'Alexander the Great' had accomplished. In our modern-day world,
leaders of countries such as China and Russia have managed to similarly extend their influence
on the world through economic and militaristic means. The presidents of China and Russia are
generally regarded as powerful and great men. There is no doubt that if the ancient Greeks
would've wandered our modern-day world today, they would’ve held these global leaders in
similar regards to 'Alexander the Great.' Some tests of greatness do not change throughout the
years, and hence, it just as easy to determine whether an individual is great by their
contemporaries as it is for their successors.

Furthermore, there already exists a set of quantifiable determinants that we use to analyze the
greatness of an individual in our current times. In the past, perhaps, the greatness of an individual
was determined by their social rank: a king was undoubtedly greater than a peasant during the
feudal times. Even in our modern-day world, we read stories of old British kings or ancient
Chinese emperors, but it is not often that we read stories about an individual serf, peasant, or
slave. In the modern-day world, we also have similar societal structures in place that help us
determine the greatness of an individual. For example, the president or prime minister of any
country is often, unquestionably, regarded as great. Other quantifiable factors we use to calculate
the greatness of an individual include the academic degree they hold, the amount of wealth they
gain, or the accolades they have receive in their lifetime. It is not necessary for the next
generation to confirm that a noble peace prize laureate from our generation was great. As
contemporaries, we can already acknowledge that the individual was indeed great.

However, the argument could be made that the greatness of an individual cannot be determined
by their contemporaries because of the biases they may hold. It is also plausible to believe that
their contemporaries may not hold all the facts or know all the details to make a comprehensive
enough decision about the said individual. Take for example, president Truman, who was
abhorred by most during his time as president. Yet, in our modern-day world, he is largely
regarded as an excellent leader with a strong moral compass. Centuries prior, scientists were
often crucified by the churches for their 'immoral' beliefs. Yet, in our modern-day world, where
religion no longer clouds our views to such an extent, we largely hold these scientists in high
regards. Their discoveries in fields such as chemistry, biology, and physics have been pivotal to
the success of our modern society.

While it is arguable that the successes of an individual can only be determined by the generations
that succeed them because of the biases their contemporaries may hold, in most cases, it has
empirically been shown that the contemporaries of an individual can make accurate decisions on
how great he or she may be on their own. Every generation has a challenging set of tests or
quantifiable factors in place that they use to determine the greatness of an individual: factors
such as social rank, academic prestige, or even wealth. However, the question remains to be seen
whether in the new age of social media, where everyone’s lives are scrutinized to an obscene
extent, can we truly regard anyone as 'great' anymore.

Average: 6.6 (1 vote)