Imaginative works such as novels plays films fairy tales and legend present a more accurate and meaningful picture of human experience than do factual accounts Because the creators of fiction shape and focus reality rather than report on it literally thei

Imaginative works such as novels, plays, films fairy tales, and legend present a more accurate and meaningful picture of human experience than do factual accounts. Because the creators of fiction shape and focus reality rather than report on it literally, their creations have a more lasting significance.

The speaker claims that fictions afford people more accurate and meaningful picture than factual account for the reason that it concentrates more on reality. Although some factual reports contain falsehood, it is overly extreme to assert that factual reports are all inaccurate. In my view, in oder to understand thoughts and background of a period, one needs to acquire information on both side in balance.

I concede that records or reports tend to be falsified by contemporary people. This situation usually happened in the history that records politician events. The monarchs who was may censor the publication of their biographies or even intervene and modify the contents of their reports to conceal some obloquy or unwished things. And, while historical documents were usually written by the side that is in power, the groups that in the minor position more often than not ignored by the people. From these reasons I mentioned above, the “factual” reports can sometime contain bias and inaccuracy.

However, it is undeniable that many reports and information come from authoritative and trustworthy sources. Apparent examples can be acquired in the field of science. Reports of scientific researches usually experience rigorous assessments and peers’ scrutiny. It not only has high degree of validity but also has its repeatability—that is, everyone who distrusts it can regenerate the data by themselves, so that further ensure their accuracy.

On the other hand, fictions sometimes provides profound and obscure thinkings of people. People of a period will unintentionally attach their wishes and desires on their art work, therefore, facts of an age can be extracted from these works. For example, in the generation of warfare happening frequently, we can see the thoughts that are opposing war and wishful for peace. In the age of peace, the contents usually related to joyfulness and love. Because of the nature of property of fictions and novel, they are less vulnerable to be falsified or censored by monarchs, hence, in this way, we can fetch more accurate information than official documents.

Admittedly, fictions and novels can be pure imaginative in some aspect, thus cannot be accountable source for getting facts. For instance, preternatural elements can be frequently seem in the fiction. One needs to have the ability to discern the truth from fantasy. If a fiction claims that the winning of a battle is come from the assistance of god, dragon, or some imaginative creatures, it definitely not belong the fact. In a nut shell, even though fictions and novels can help people secure the facts concealed by the officious documents, it doesn’t mean we can unjustifiable receive all of the content.

To sum up, if we want to fetch a sound feature of an age, we need to balance on selecting the source—from imaginative works as well as factual reports. Both of them have the property that is indispensable.