In most professions and academic fields imagination is more important than knowledge Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim In developing and supporting your position be sure to address the most comp

In most professions and academic fields, imagination is more important than knowledge.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position

Knowledge and imagination have propelled society in all fields - since the dawn of man. It is through imagination man has invented the wheel and learned to cook meat with fire - and it is through the learning process - knowledge has been passed on. Knowledge marks an accumulative process through which society better itself and it is imagination that allows individuals to impact society - in a symbiotic process that nourishes all. Society is composed of a population divided, albeit artificially, to professions - be proper daily professions or academic ones - all embarked on a journey that requires both knowledge and imagination.

Most professions and academic fields hold, by definition. the accumulation of knowledge that has been reshaped into either practical , theoretical and academic forms. For a man to pursue a career, be it any of the former, he cannot exclude himself from the world, as to presume one could create all the knowledge of a profession all by himself. True, as in the case for the lone Indian mathematician who found a mathematical book and has reinvented numerous mathematical branches, people could live a life of solitude and create all by themselves - but even within the academic society, these are the exceptions - not the common. It is through knowledge that can be learnt, one can gain the experience of tens, if not hundred of years - if not even more - and to stand on the frontier of his profession - be the best detective one can be, the best scientist - or a great humanitarian.

Nonetheless, we must distinguish between proper,dull professions in which little imagination is required, such as insurance agents - opposed to the works of policemen, detectives and firemen on one hand - and scientists or engineers on the other. It is not practical to gain all knowledge of a profession, nor is it scalable with the ever expanding knowledge of humanity. Those wishing to explore new realms of physics, invent new gadgets, explore fields for which previous knowledge is lacking - must employ deep thought processes, exhibit ingenuity, all the remarks of the great minds, such as Albert Einstein - it is the works of an alternate thinker, a cerebral thinker, through the use of the left, artistic side of our brain, imagination can lead us to realms previous explorers never dreamed of.

Imagination and knowledge are both distinctive marks of professions - be it academic or not - and to go as to the extreme of stating which is more important - is a tedious task. All professions could be thought of requiring a mixture of the both. From the mundane salesman, who must show creativity in order to support his sales rate - to the common scientist - for whom imagination is an impeccable trait - his gained knowledge of many years of study are not less that mandatory for proper research. One must ask, what professions require no imagination or pure knowledge alone - and who, in a sane mind, would be keen to work or participate in such professions? A profession without the use imagination can be described as robotic - the same very jobs in manufacturer lines in which actual robots replace human beings. On the other hand, the realm of pure imagination, arguably, can be assigned to children alone - since any profession in imagination is used - the product of such a process must be manifested - a play, a book or a publication - even for the sheer share of knowledge.

In sum, most professions use both imagination and knowledge - yet in any profession - the use of either exists on a continuous spectrum.