Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well being of the societies and environments in which they operate Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations provided they operate within the law is to make as mu

Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well-being of the societies and environments in which they operate. Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations, provided they operate within the law, is to make as much money as possible

Capitalistic society that we live in, is transcending at an heady pace, and this money-mindedness brings with it severe changes whether it be in terms of lifestyle of people or in terms of ideals and principles. Some people believe that the corporations inhabiting in such societies have responsibility to exert in its well-being, while other believe that they should just focus on making money. In my opinion it should be an amalgam of both views. Given below are two assertion for my position.

Firstly, acting as a helping hand in bolstering the well being of environment should be a responsibility, not only allocated only to common masses but also to the organisation that prolifically grow in such milieu. Since the revenue of the organisations comes directly from the people therefore the companies should have a moral obligation to give back. Once people watch that a company is participating in maintaining the environment, it creates a positive disposition towards a company in the eyes of people. Thus, actively participating in drives that promote well being of surrounding environment acts as, “killing two birds with one stone”, as on one hand company does something good for the environment, while on the other hand positive attitude of people towards such companies continually grows, and thereby such policies act as boon for everyone.

On the other hand, paying too much attention in maintaining a healthy environment and well being can backfire a company when too much attention paid on such aspects hinders company’s revenue source. For instance – a company which is constantly conducting promotional drives through out the states had the potential of loosing a lot of revenue when people do not give back to the company in the same way as they expect or when the competitors, who were just focusing upon increasing a market share, gain a significant lead in that time. Thus paying too much attention to the world outside office can derail the company’s rudimentary foundation which in turn can lead to total dissolution of such activities in the long run.

In conclusion, a proper balance between maintaining capital and promoting well being of the surrounding can be the only way which can pragmatically work in the today's world. Therefore taking sides on such a complex view can never provide proper justice which a medley of both sides can provide as a whole.