Some people believe that in order to be effective political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently c

Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently committed to particular principles and objectives.

Have you ever thought about if you had an opportunity of going back in the past what you would say to yourself in the age of 15 or 20? What kind of advices are you going to pick for mitigating the sharp angles of your life or catching already lost chances? Don’t dye your hair into blue? Study harder? If so, it’s almost impossible to predict the effect of this, since the same things we had already heard from our parents – “these elders don’t know what they are talking about”. Yep, this is happening because of principles and beliefs in your young head, you have already known what and how to do, there is no place for trade-offs.

Now, let’s imagine that there had not changed in your head, we had not got open-minded and there had not appeared any tiny desire to listen to other’s opinions, beliefs and ideas, but for completing the picture, now we would be as well a political leader of a small country. “Wow, it must be undoubtedly provoking a precarious position for us” would be the first thought since we have already found out that the life is actually complicated things and there is no either completely white or black side and every action, decision requires a comprehensive approach and detailed analysis. In the recorded history of the mankind there has been a blizzard of dissolutions of the whole countries and generations due to the craven and obdurate way of governing.

Having read all the above text one might ask whether it means that constant changing of your views and beliefs are going to be a positive approach to lead a whole country. No, as it has been discussed above, there is no right side of the medal, no one choice that could help to everyone. Apparently, there must be the established backbone of principles and objectives, but simultaneously there must be awareness of necessity of modifications of it. Inevitably, even here we are about to come up with compromise between these two moods in a society.

Given the history of human race, it could be easily concluded that development along one straight line without fluctuations on it is almost impossible and moreover oscillations must have a place as must the common trend. There is no need to retreat to Luddite attitude in relation either keeping up with fresh views or stucking to a bucket of principles rather than to embrace the positive posture to trade-offs between them.