The surest indicator of a great nation is represented not by the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but by the general welfare of its people. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the stateme

The surest indicator of a great nation is represented not by the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but by the general welfare of its people.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

In order to define what the great nation is, we need to consider what is the role and purpose of the nation. Basically, the nation should work for their people's happiness and convenience, and the great nation should satisfy the role. In this line of thought, there can be several indicators that can be used as the indicator of a great nation. Some people suggests that a great nation should contribute to human society with great arts or scientific development to improve their nation's culture and education. However, I believe that the general well-being should the primary indicator of a great nation.

Granted, rulers, artists, or scientists can improve their nation with their great achievements. For example, Mozart who was a preeminent classic composer and pianist, still regarded as a virtuoso. A plethora of people all over the world like his music and some of them visit Mozart's own country to feel him. No one can deny that Austrians are proud of Mozart, and Mozart made people happy. Likewise, many nations have some outstanding rulers, artists, or scientists, and their fame render their nations better countries.

However, although great rulers, artists, or scientists can make their nations famous, it does not indicate that those fame can directly make any benefits for their people. In other words, those famous persons cannot make revenues for people who are mired in poverty or have hard time without any education. Even though those eminent people build huge fame, if people of the nation cannot maintain their life, the nation's main purpose is ruined and it cannot be a great nation. For instance, Ganhdi went the extra mile to achieve India's independence from Great Britain peacefully. Everyone acknowledges that he was a great ruler and his achievement was pivotal in the world history. Notwithstanding, a plethora of Indians are still mired in poverty and are not educated well. Moreover the caste system is still left in their society, lots of people have no chance to get jobs what they really want to do. Therefore, I believe that without the general well-being, a nation cannot be considered as a great nation.

The aforementioned arguments elucidate why other factors such as having outstanding rulers or artists cannot be the surest indicator of the great nation. The greatness should be considered as happiness and well-being of the ordinary people in that the nation’s purpose and role is to sustain people’s safety and general well-fare.