In order to be successful in sports some people think you have to be physically strong Others say that mental strength is more important Discuss both views and give your opinion

In order to be successful in sports, some people think you have to be physically strong. Others say that mental strength is more important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Some people are of the opinion that sport players have to be physically fit to succussed in sports. However, others are opposed to this idea and claim that mental readiness plays an indispensable role in their sport performance. From my standpoint, I tend to gravitate toward the latter view and I will further elaborate in this essay.
On the one hand, there are compelling reasons to think that brute strength is a game-changing factor in order to achieve victory in sports. First and foremost, in some sports, athletes have excellent physical prowess which gives them a competitive edge over their peers. Especially, in muscular sports, those sportsmen are supposed to use strong muscles to lift, move given objects or fight more easily. For instance, in a basketball game, some tall basketball players with natural physical advantages like outstanding strength can have the ability to block opponent’s shots and score a goal at ease. Secondly, sports professionals have acquired immense physical strength is synonymous with building up great stamina which is a decisive factor to be successful in sports. Take swimming or marathon as an example, the endurance is of paramount importance that helps people in sports complete and win a race straightforwardly.
On the other hand, I firmly hold the view that having physical prowess is not enough, in fact, to be able to triumph over their opponents, sportsmen also need to be mentally resilient. To begin with, this stems from the fact that even though having brute strength, professional athletes cannot retain the capacity to be unflappable under pressure before a big tournament to make good decisions and lead to better results in a game. A soccer match is a typical example, in 2018 AFF Championship, the Vietnam team was considered an underdog. But with the relentless fighting spirits and spectators’ spirit cheers, Vietnam won the tournament with a 3–2 victory against Malaysia. In addition, in prestigious tournaments like the Olympics, sports professionals usually are comparable and have equal physical prowess in the same weight classes. Therefore, mental toughness is a prerequisite to ace their games. For example, in the same boxing weight class, which boxer has better willpower to maintain composure and tactics can make breakthroughs and win a game easily.
In conclusion, I believe both arguments have their merits. On balance, I am inclined to believe that mental toughness allows sports professionals to achieve victory in sports.