The percentage of overweight children in western society has increased by almost 20% in the last ten years.Discuss the causes and effects of this disturbing trend.

The percentage of overweight children in western society has increased by almost 20% in the last ten years.

Discuss the causes and effects of this disturbing trend.

In medical world obesity is one of the fundamental issues of modern times. In previous decade western society has noticed a surge of about 20% in child obesity. This essay will discuss some factors leading to such situation and its negative impacts on the overall society.

To begin with, a number of contributory factors lead western community towards child obesity. First of all, consumption of fast food is amongst the leading causes of obesity in world. In past 20 years fast food chains are spreading across the globe at an alarming rate. While in this short span of time it has progressed to become food of choice, particularly in children. Thereby, its consumption significantly increase weight, and in early stages of life precipitates childhood obesity. Secondly, these days schools and colleges are prioritizing activities related to studies. Whilst, most of the institutions have dropped sports activities and physical training out of their schedules. Thus eliminating physical activities from students routine during school hours. Furthermore, with the development of virtual games devices, for instance, XBOX and Play stations children are addicted to them and prefer to stay most of the time at home. Hence adopting a sedentary lifestyle which is directly related to the weight of an individual.

Moreover, such disturbing trends carry deleterious impacts on society. Overweight children, are prone to many diseases in future. Such physical conditions precipitates many medical issues. To illustrate, cardiovascular disorders are related to the weight of an individual. Therefore, increase in obesity would lead to progression of such fatal diseases. In addition to that, overweight children are usually bullied at schools, leading them to psychological conditions, for example, depression, anxiety, social phobia.

All in all, although obesity is growing in western population. If proper steps are taken by governments by spreading awareness in general populations. Its progression can be minimized and controlled in future.