Computer games are very popular in all ages and nationalities Parents think it has little educational value and more harmful effects What is your opinion about it

Over the last years computer games have gained a vast popularity not only among the youngest, which is one would normally expect, but also among the adults. Furthermore, with computers prices plunging down and Internet connections widespread allo over the world, a steadily growing number of people has the oppurtunity to dive in the the world of computer games. Parents have raised understandable concerns about the negative effects associated with computer games.

What to many children seems to be just a way to enjoy their free time, can actually have detrimental consequences on their behaviour, concentration, performance, and health. Sadly too many games are packed with violence and can lead to the misleading idea that being a criminal guarantees money and shining cars. Additionally, several studies have shown a direct connection between violence in games and adolescent aggression.
But aggression is not the only matter of concern. Teacher and parents blaim on computer games for the mediocre performances of students who allegedly spend too many hours in front of a screen. The time wasted in playing games should be dedicated to learn and to build a sound curriculum that eventually would be pivotal in a student´s career. Moreover, just when you think it can´t get any worse, the list of diseases positively related to computer gaming is pretty long: a sedentary life leads inevitably to serious health problems such as obesity, high pressure, and cardiovascular disorders. Some minor problems like shoulder and neck pain, eyestrain, and joint injuries can also be all traced back to an excessive use of computer.

In conclusion, although a computer is a vital tool in many different jobs and activities, parents should always take note of the time children spend in front of it. Banning computer games is without doubt an excessive way to tackle the problem and would just exacerbate tensions in the family. Moderation is the key: children should be allowed to play games but only for a prearranged time while parents keep track of their school performance and spur them to enjoy physical activities.