Do you agree or disagree with the following statement In the busy and crowded world today we should not expect people to be polite to each other

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? In the busy and crowded world today, we should not expect people to be polite to each other.

Views differ considerably when it comes to the issue of whether we should expect people to be polite to others in modern society. Based on my personal experience and observation of life, I tend to agree with the statement for several reasons.

First of all, nowadays people care more about themselves, so they are prone to be cool to others. For example, in the past, people have more time because they just had to plant the crops and feed their cows and pigs. Moreover, they needed to cooperate with others to increase their efficiency of food production. As a result, ancient people are more connected with each other and concerned a lot about their neighbors. That’s why ancient people are polite so as to have good cooperation and relationship with each other. On the contrary, modern people focus on themselves because they are much busier and always cope with their own work. For me, I almost have no time to deal with my work and girlfriend, let alone to be polite to people around me. In fact, I don’t have and want to be polite at all. Apparently, as an individual, I don’t expect people to be polite.

Secondly, modern people want to be competent and being polite to other is not necessary. For instance, when I have a group interview with other candidates, I would pretend to be more competent and aggressive. In other words, I don’t have to be polite because if I want to be polite and give them opportunities to feel that I am not really fit the position, I would easily lose my confidence and finally lost the chance to get the company’s offer. Thus, in order to grasp the opportunity to be one of the employee in my dream corporation, I would place no effort to win the position instead of being polite to others. Obviously, people should not require any politeness in modern society.

Last but not least, people in society put emphasis on efficiency, but being polite can only cause inefficiency. Take my friend, Fred, as an example, he likes to directly point out my drawbacks when discussing our team project. Even though his direct advices often make me frustrated; however, these advices indeed improved my efficiency of my work and resulted in excellent impression as we proposed our project. Conversely, if Fred wanted to be polite and give me indirect suggestions, it would waste lots of time and decrease the efficiency of our team work. Therefore, I won’t expect people to be polite.

To conclude, I support the argument that nowadays people tend to be impolite to others. That is, due to caring about themselves, competitive environment and emphasis on work efficiency, I would not expect other to respect me.