Essay topics: TPO-08 - Independent Writing Task Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Television advertising directed towards young children (aged two to five) should not be allowed.Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

Essay topics: TPO-08 - Independent Writing Task

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

Television advertising directed towards young children (aged two to five) should not be allowed.

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

The idea of television advertising aimed at young children is immoral and harmful therefore, I completely and unquestionably agree that such advertisement ought not to be allowed. The reasons on which my prospect is based will be discussed in details below.

First of all, this is an amoral idea to direct commercials at children under age of five because this category of viewers is vulnerable and fragile by their nature. Although this kind of ads may be efficient, because it aimed at unformed and unprotected minds it must be forbidden. Probably the best explanation may be found at psychological researches of children's development. Studies which were carried out in 1950s demonstrated that young children accept all information as a complete truth without any questions, in other words, any information inserted at this age will be perceived as reality. It is not difficult to imagine what damage television advertisement may do to a child's mind; therefore it is an amoral practice.

Secondly, as it was said above the discussed type of ads may be harmful for children who watch it. In fact, a perception of the reality by a child and by an adult is quite different. Thus, the ads for children ought to be created with the respect to this difference. Such a television ad will be bizarre for a parent and interesting for the child probably it will depict some colorful, moving images which would be changed rapidly but this is a question how it will influence on his or her psyche? How will the commercial affect children's desires, inclinations? or may it cause seizures like some Japanese cartoons did? Those are open questions on which we do not know concrete answers. Therefore as a parent I would like not to allow it.

Finally, such commercials may lead to conflicts in families. Imagine that the ad is working well, in this case a child may cry loudly till he or she does not get promoted item. This item might be expensive or even dangerous for the child but it is merely impossible to explain it to the one. Moreover, there can be direct and indirect reasons for conflicts between parents as well. For instance, a young child demands an advertised toy, but parents may have quite a distinct prospect on the usefulness of it. If this conflict is accompanied with baby's cry, parents may easily start a fight.

To wrap up, as a father I definitely see several grave negative consequences of advertisement which is aimed at young children. Thus, it should not be allowed.